Hello from KY

EricMd01

Songster
5 Years
Mar 7, 2014
ky
Hi. My name is Eric. Just bought my first chicks about a week ago from TSC. They were labeled pullets and red pullets and if I understand correctly that means theyre female(though the lady at tsc told me they could be both male and female). Hoping to learn as much as possible so my chicks stay healthy. Already had one with pasty butt.

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Check out the Learning Center for some nice articles on raising chicks. https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center If you put a little olive oil on the vent of the ones that had pasty butt it helps keep the poo from sticking to the down. Pullets should be female, though there is the occasional oops rooster, most hatcheries guarantee 90% are the correct sex, but most seem to do much better than that. If they were mixed sexes it would usually say "straight run" or "as hatched"

Hello, Eric, welcome to BYC. Pullets would indeed be female, but as Kelsie has indicated even in 'sexed' chicks there may be a 10 % error. Good luck with your chicks.

Hi there,
frow.gif
and welcome to BYC!

Hatcheries are usually pretty good with sexing as long as you pick from the pullet bins. Good luck with your babies and enjoy BYC!

Problem is some people/kids pick up chicks from one bin and dump them in another - so it's possible to get cockerels instead of pullets. If you are getting a particular breed try to pick ones that look alike so hopefully they are pullets.

They gave me 3 pullets, which look yellow, and 4 red pullets, which look brownish with lighter colored feathers. I'll get some pics up.

Back
Top Bottom