Hello from little ol' me!

jtdiehl

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 20, 2010
New York
Just wanted to introduce myself (as a good friend suggested that I should).

My husband and I purchased a home in the woods back in 2004. From the moment we decided this would be our home, I had wanted chickens. 18 months ago, when my newborn daughter was only 3 weeks old, we took the plunge. It was perfect timing! The chicks were 3 weeks old, too! How cool is that?

We purchased 6 'hens' of various varieties. To our surprise, one of them turned out to be a rooster (pictured in my avatar). Four months ago, our Plymouth Rock went broody, and she became mama to one of her own, and several of the other hens' chicks. That was it... we got the bug! I just purchased 12 more chicks, 11 of them being hens (we think), with the hopes of having more. We just can't get enough chickens around here! They free range, and really help keep the bug population down around here. Plus, I just love that they come running like a dog whenever they see me! It's good to be loved!

I never thought I could become so attached to a chicken, but they have definitely captured my heart. They bring such pleasure to this house, and we wouldn't have it any other way!

Nice to be a part of this community. Looking forward to all your helpful advice, ideas, and encouragement!

wink.png

Last edited:
Thank you for the replies.

We have 4 Silkies, 2 Brahmas, 2 Plymouth Rocks (had three, but one died shortly after arriving), and 3 Australorps. Their names are Legolas, Moon, Snowflake, Bashful, Curious, Frodo, Midge, Oreo, Pip, and two unnamed. We are watching their personalities bloom, then we will decide on their names. They are only 12 days old.

welcome-byc.gif
from NH. Chickens truly make a family complete. They are such fun to have around. Glad you decided to join us.

Back
Top Bottom