Hello From Live Oak Florida!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by moleary97, Jan 24, 2010.

1. moleary97

moleary97 New Egg

Jan 24, 2010
    Live Oak, FL
    I've been lurking here for months and should have posted quite a while ago! I started my "all hen" flock several months ago (end of October) and now have three active layers out of a total of 6 chickens. Thanks to other board members I have confirmed that my "all hen" flock has an intruder! A Copper Maran rooster has snuck into the fold and is currently looking for a new home!

I built my coop out of 1" chicken wire. It's completely covered and has a dirt floor that I treat occasionally with hydrated lime and DE. There are four nesting boxes in the coop and three "roosts" made of oak limbs. The coop is 8' x 10' and we've limited the number of chickens to six, although there is a Red Bourbon Tom in there for a week before we let him out to free range.

So far we have two ISA browns, one Ameraucana (I think), one Aracauna (I think), and one unknown, the copper maran is a rooster and is going to need a new home. Their feed is a mix of 2 to 1 Layena / Rolled Oats as well as a weekly helping of greens (collared and spinich courtesy of my wife). We also have free choice oyster shell available.

We've gotten great joy out of our new family members and are excited everytime we collect our smattering of eggs (2-3 a day). I'd welcome any feedback or criticisms - we want to make sure we've got a good environment for our flock!

[​IMG]

2. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    [​IMG] from Lutz,FL!!! I love your coop! [​IMG]

3. [​IMG] and [​IMG]
    From, VA

I know you will enjoy this forum a lot [​IMG]
    LOVE that coop [​IMG]
    Did you build it or make it?

4. SunshineSteedFarm

SunshineSteedFarm Seramatching Equestrian

Aug 18, 2009
    Georgia
    Hello and [​IMG]
    Nice coop! [​IMG]

5. Lolita

Lolita Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2008
    FL
    [​IMG]

6. moleary97

moleary97 New Egg

Jan 24, 2010
    Live Oak, FL
    Quote:Thanks! It was a lot of work, and I've been unsure of whether I did it right or not...

When we bought our property we had a covered pole barn on one part. I enclosed one side of a corner with latice and 1" mesh, then the other three sides with just the mesh. I also built a small (14" square) sliding door about 4' up on one side but I'm scared to let the hens out during the day, so that was a waste.

The perimeter is hot-wired to keep the varmints away, hopefully the snakes won't slide in under the wire!

7. hen-thusiast

hen-thusiast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Utah
    [​IMG] from UT! Glad you joined us!

8. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

[​IMG] from Washington

Imp

9. Gonzo

Gonzo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Southwestern, In
    [​IMG] From Southern Indiana! Nice coop!

10. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    Live Oak, huh? My folks are from Lake City/Mayo .. have an uncle still in Branford .. If I had to live in Florida again, that is the area I would go to..

[​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by