Hello From LJ Ranch

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by lorryjordan, Dec 5, 2014.

1. Just rescued 5 Silkies. Trying to learn how to keep them happy and healthy. What is the best kind of coop for silkies? Can I keep them with other breeds of chickens?
    Lorry
    LJ Ranch Georgia

2. cityfarmer12

cityfarmer12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    Welcome to Backyard Chickens!!! Glad you could join us!

Coops are all different, so the best kind would be a dry, predator proof kind [​IMG]

Are they standard or bantams? If they are standards, they should do fine with others, but Bantams might get picked on, especially depending on how many chickens you have. :)

Good Luck with you new chickens!!

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

X2 on cityfarmer12's advice. Good luck with your chickens!

4. Thanks..nice to be on line with ya'll
    [​IMG]Hope to lean a lot from everyone.

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
  6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. Silkies only come in bantam sizes, so you can keep them with other bantam breeds, but I would not recommend keeping them with standard sized breeds or they will likely take a beating. I used to raise Black Silkies and they were sweet, gentle, friendly, and funny little birds, but the only standard size breed we could safely keep them with were our Polish (which are usually at the bottom of the pecking order in a standard sized flock). Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]Hi and welcome to backyard chickens. I think silkies do better with their own kind - as they tend to be bullied by others. If they were all raised together since birth - they would probably do well with a mixed flock. Are they all the same color? Would love to see photos.

8. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

9. cityfarmer12

cityfarmer12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    I had a friend who had a silky who was really big (pretty much standard size). They also had 4 other silkies who were small. Was he just like a rare one, or was he a mix maybe?? My bad, lol :)

10. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Actually I should correct myself. There is, in fact, a standard size Silkie, but they are extremely rare (especially in the US), and even the standard sized Silkie is smaller than almost all other standard sized breeds. Also, the large Silkie to whom you are referring likely has some other standard breed mixed in it as well. I think it is safe to assume than Lorry's Silkies are bantams.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by