Hello from long Island, Ny

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by capnjb, Feb 5, 2017.

1. capnjb

capnjb Just Hatched

Feb 5, 2017
    Hello, I'm totally new to chicken farming. My family and I decided to raise some chickens for eggs. Any help would be greatly appreciated. We decided to just jump right in. Our local livestock supplier will be getting chick's on March 1.
    If anyone could suggest a great egglayer and is great to handle for my 9 year old.
    Thanks can't wait to raise some chics, we're all excited.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
  2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

So glad you could join our community!!

Have you stopped by our learning center yet? Lots of great info on all the aspects you will need know about raising and keeping your birds... https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

As for breeds, I am a huge fan of Black Australorps and Buff Orpingtons. VERY docile gentle birds for kids, very hearty birds for both heat and cold, wonderful layers that don't have a lot of issues with laying, and just fun loving birds all around. But here is a nice page I use to get some ideas on the other breeds that are out there... http://www.albc-usa.org/documents/chickenbreedcomparison.pdf

Make yourself at home here and if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Welcome to our roost! :)

1 person likes this.
  3. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    Howdy...

Welcome....[​IMG]

If you can find a Speckled Sussex, my Fave for a first chicken, you would do well to.

They are good to look at and love to be loved. Mine attack me to be the first held or petted when I go into their pen.

[​IMG]

4. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there, and welcome to the coop! I am so glad you decided to join the flock and I hope you'll make yourself at home here! :frow

~Cuz

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, capnjb, and :welcome! Great to have you aboard! Looks like you've gotten some great links and advice so I'll just say best wishes and thanks for joining BYC! :)

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Glad you joined us at Backyard chickens[​IMG]

7. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under capnjb [​IMG] Welcome!

TwoCrows has given you some great starting points so I will send you best wishes and also to your flock when they arrive .. very exciting!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

8. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    [​IMG]

9. N F C

N F C More coffee please! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

It's nice to have you here!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by