Hello from Maine

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by jerusha100, Jul 6, 2016.

1. jerusha100

jerusha100 New Egg

Jul 6, 2016
    Maine
    I've been reading the page since we (accidentally) got our 1st chicks 3 years ago - a trip to the local farmers union to 'ask' about raising chickens and we were shuffled out the side door with 6 (free) chicks and no idea what we were doing. Our flock has grown to 32, thanks to a divorce re-homing (adding 10 hens to our 8) and this year's chicks (6 of which we were raising for a friend who can no longer take them).
    We started mostly with cold hardy, docile, good layers (barred rock, buffs, etc) and now have maybe 7 - 10 breeds not including the bantams. We're getting a little crowded so personalities are coming out, look forward to exploring the forums more and asking questions on temperament etc. Our recent batch of bantams has a few chicks I cannot identify, so also looking forward to help figuring out who's who.
    I built a separate coop this summer for my little girls/bantams, really enjoying them and learning more about breeds, history etc. Lost my fav girl Po last fall to a hawk :-( (She was all black like a Raven so we named her Edgar Allen Poultry, or Po for short). She was the queen b*tch of the coop and my garden buddy, would follow me as I weeded for fresh snacks.
    Bit of a ramble, excited to 'join' the group!
    Jerusha / Western Mnts of Maine

2. silkiecuddles

silkiecuddles FortheLoveofSilkies

Mar 1, 2015
    Florida
    :frow Hi, and welcome to BYC from way down south! So nice to you have join us!

3. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    Hi and [​IMG] Any questions about chickens' temperaments can go in Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying, I'm sure that everyone would be glad to help you out! And there are tons of useful information about different breeds and stuff in the Learning Center. Thanks for joining us! [​IMG]

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Really enjoyed your introduction. Don't stop now, I'd love to hear more. Some bantams tend to have "Chihuahua syndrome," where they think they are BIG shots. Usually attitude is all it takes.

6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by