Hello from Maine!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Mixedflock2017, Apr 15, 2017.

1. Mixedflock2017

Mixedflock2017 New Egg

Apr 15, 2017
    Hello everyone!

This is my very first time keeping chickens! I bought chicks from TSC I have 5 production reds supposed to be all pullets An then 5 Plymouth Rock (appear to be barred) straight run. If anyone knows how to sex an age (approximately) them I would be forever grateful! I have no idea how old either batch of chicks are! I figure my reds are a few weeks as their wing feathers are in it's not baby down... but the Plymouth babies are just starting....

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to the Backyard chickens flock, so glad you joined us [​IMG]. I think if you would wait 6 weeks from the time you brought home the Barred Rocks, they should be at a good age to sex. You can then post photos at "what breed or gender is this." and find out who is what. It is a popular enough breed that a lot of folks have a good understanding of the gender differences.

1 person likes this.
  3. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Mixedflock2017 [​IMG] Welcome!

This is a link to the Breed & Gender Forum Diva mentioned: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

You might want to also pop in and say hello on your local thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - great that you have joined us. Fingers crossed for lots of girls!

Best wishes
    CT

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Mixedflock2017, and [​IMG]! Happy you joined our community! As you've already received a bunch of great advice and links, I'll just say best wishes and thanks for joining BYC! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by