Hello from Maine!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Puddleducks, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Puddleducks

Puddleducks Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2012
    My Name is Sarah and I Keep a flock of twelve barnyard mix hens and handsome white rooster. We also keep three geese, two Africans and one Pomeranian. our American buff passed away the day before yesterday :<

I think I joined this site mostly because it would be nice to be able to gush to some other fowl enthusists now and again. Also if any one in my area would be interested in trading fertilized eggs it would make my life! I have a gene line of mixed heritage chickens I've been keeping for about five years now and they are white, gold and brown speckled easter layers. I would really like to introduce new blood and color variations! I like to take note of which traits are sex linked and such. I could look it all up I am sure but it's more fun this way. :) My current rooster is a mysterious white mixed breed that a family member caught because he had gone feral, I would like my next rooster to be an auracana I think. But that's a long way off.

anyway, hello! I like to breed speckled chickens. Lets be friends?

2. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    Friends and glad you are here. Sounds like you have some great experience to share. I have been keeping a mixed flock of EE, Brahmas, production and assorted bantum for almost a year, and am hooked. So plenty to gush over chicken things with here. Glad you are here. Welcome to our new and improved site![​IMG]
    ps your speckled flock sounds great, wish I had some fertilized eggs that would help, good luck.

3. m.kitchengirl

m.kitchengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Maine
    Hi there. I am in Maine, also. Its a great place to raise flocks, more than half our neighbors & folks in the area have chickens.

I keep 4 chickens of various breeds & three Ancona ducks. I'll be adding to my flock some this spring, I want more eggs for friends, a few broody hens to hatch out my ducks, and a couple more ducks for eggs.
    I'll be building a bigger coop in March or April and can't WAIT to expand & get gardening again.
    But, we shouldn't complain. This winter has been so mild compared to what I expect.

So sorry about your goose. [​IMG] How terrible, I lost my English Angora bunny on New Years Day and I am still a mess about it. He was my little buddy, like a dog in a lot of ways.

Be careful, BYC is addictive!
    Oh, and I have never used this smiley before so...

[​IMG]

4. Puddleducks

Jan 26, 2012
    Fankies <3

She was my mothers goose and very very old. She had a good run <3 I am sorry about your bun-bun. I would love to keep bunnies but I am alergic. :<

Coops building is always fun. We actauly converted my childhood tree house into our current coop. I am considering revamping how we keep our geese though.

...and I don't mind being addicted to something this neat XD

5. Puddleducks

Jan 26, 2012
    fankies, glad I decided to join.

The site is very spiffy <3

Do your bantams get on well with your other chickens? I think bantams are so cute but I am afraid to attempt them due to my normal sized rooster and all these predators that live in the country with me.

6. CaitlynNichols

CaitlynNichols Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2010
    Newfields, NH
    Why hello Sarah! *wink wink* [​IMG]
    Hahahahaha, so glad you could make it onto this awesome forum! And you will most definitely be meeting a lot of fowl enthusists as well (like me)

7. Puddleducks

Jan 26, 2012
    wink wink nudge nudge

8. ggarratt

ggarratt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    Midcoast, Maine
    [​IMG]

From another neighbor in Maine. I can't help you with any fancy-colored egg layers, but I'm always happy to gush about chickens! Here's a link to the Maine thread https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1370/maine/2020#post_8302197 It's pretty active and they list all the poultry swaps and such along with the general chatter. You should check it out.

Hope to see you around the forum!

9. Puddleducks

Jan 26, 2012
    Oooh thankyou!

10. S&N Livestock

S&N Livestock Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    southern ohio
    [​IMG] from Ohio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by