Hello from Maine!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by peterslovo, Apr 1, 2012.

1. peterslovo

peterslovo New Egg

Mar 13, 2012
    southern Maine
    Hi Folks,

I'm new to chickens and BYC. First off, hello and thanks for this site being out there; such a good resource!

About a month ago, we were going to order some chicks from an online site, but I decided to check craigslist. Sure enough, there was someone nearby who had Golden Comet 2-3 week old pullets, so we went out and visited the birds. We were happy with the owners and the way the birds looked, so got four pullets (named Myrtle, Vera, Betty and Opal [​IMG]). They are about 6 weeks old now, and are 95% feathered out. It's amazing how quickly they have grown!

Anyway, I finished their coop this past weekend finally - wow, that was some work! Currently, I keep the girls in the basement at nights, but they are out in the coop/run all day for the most part. They have an 8x4 run, and 4x4 coop based off the Purina Mills basic design I found on this site, but altered to my liking. The run is detachable so we can move it around the yard as things warm up; once I find the right spot in the yard, I'll probably remove the wheels from the back of the coop and leave it.

So the chickens are getting way too big for their rabbit cage I keep in the basement, but I'm loath to put them out for the night as our temps are still in the upper 20s lower 30s at night. They are fine through the day in the 30s and 40s and thoroughly enjoy themselves, just going into the coop to warm up a bit, then come back out to forage and play.

My (probably way over-asked) question for cold-weather owners is: when can I put them in the coop overnight? I want to do as soon as possible, as I think they are cramped in the basement. In the basement, I have weaned them to cooler tmeps... the temps dip down to ~50 at night in the basement, and they do not use a heat lamp any more.

Thanks all
    Pete

Here are some images of the coop/run and our girls, to share with you all and give back to this wonderful resource:

Coop/run based on the purina mills design and some alterations/insight from this site.

[​IMG]

Back entry door and nest box on side. About to paint the roof's 2x4s.

[​IMG]

First time in the new place...

[​IMG]

Nest box on the side.

[​IMG]

The girls checking out the new digs:

[​IMG]

Floor access to underneath the coop (the door is hinged, as is the ladder)

[​IMG]

Ladder and enclosed area underneath the coop. I have a removable panel that I can totally enclose this section with.

[​IMG]

Myrtle checking things out (shavings yet to be put in nest boxes; roost to the left). Vera behind; these two are the most adventurous of the bunch!

[​IMG]

The girls, enjoying the new place. That's Betty and Vera on the ladder and Opal (the whitest one) and Myrtle checking something very interesting (at least to chickens!) out on the ground.

[​IMG]

2. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Hi and welcome to BYC from NY State! [​IMG]

At 6 weeks old they are probably old enough to go in the coop overnight. If you're worried you could hook up a heat lamp, otherwise they're probably just fine. That's the hard part of having them grow up...

3. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad you joined. Nice looking coop. :thumbsup

4. DirtCreature

DirtCreature Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    Olympia, Washington
  5. peterslovo

peterslovo New Egg

Mar 13, 2012
    southern Maine
    Hi All, thanks for the warm welcome.

I think one more night in the basement for the girls, then out they go!

I'll check out the Maine thread - didn't even know it existed.

6. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

7. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

8. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG]

9. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    HI and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

10. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps