Hello from Maine

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by bretsk2500, Feb 7, 2014.

1. bretsk2500

bretsk2500 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2014
    Hi, My name is Bret,

My wife and I are quite new to chickens. We got them because we have a large family (6) with a large appetite for eggs :D We live in a classic 1865 New England farmhouse that has been in my family it's entire existence. My wife found a healthy flock of 8 birds on craigslist that desperately needed to be rehomed. According to my dad (who has an Ag degree from Michigan State); we have 1 buff orpington, 1 barred rock, 2 rhode island reds, and 4 new hampshire reds. The buff and barred are 2years old, and the rest are 8 months according to their previous owners. The birds also were well handled and don't peck people and will stay calm when you pick them up.

Our girl's coop I converted out of 2 of the cow stalls in our barn's tie-up. they've got a 10X12 area, 5 nest boxes, and a couple roosts at different heights. They don't have a run yet.. that will have to wait until the ground thaws.

I've been reading this site quite a bit recently doing research... My dad has been helpful, but is much more of a dairyman. Our family chicken expert, my grandfather (and previous owner of my home) passed on 2 1/2 years ago. In fact, I am using some of his "chicken stuff" that I found in my barn :D.

I grew up on a dairy farm, and my wife and I have a substantial garden every year. We've found ourselves with a desire to reduce our dependence on the supermarket, and have been steadily moving in that direction.

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

3. You have a very good selection of breeds for some nice eggs. Welcome to BYC! [​IMG] From Southern California!

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Good luck in all your ventures in life and enjoy BYC!

5. coyzstze

coyzstze Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2014
    Haslett, MI
    Hello and Welcome!

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member