Hello from Manitoba Canada!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by mrste1984, Apr 5, 2016.

1. mrste1984

mrste1984 New Egg

Apr 5, 2016
    New member here. We live on a 13 and a bit acre property just outside Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada that we bought back in October. We're hoping to have a small hobby farm and are starting this year with a large garden (we had a small one at our old place) and some chickens. We have 8 Easter Eggers and 4 maran X cochin chicks due to come home on the 22 of April, give or take. Depending on how that goes we'll likely expand our flock next year and possibly even add some other animals. Although we are for sure getting horses!!!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC, congratulations on your new home, and good luck with your flock.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens. You may find the "Canadians, check-in-here," thread well worth perusing.

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - glad that you have joined us.

Congrats on your impending chicken adventure - be sure to check out the learning centre.

All the best
    CT

5. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

With all that room, you should have more chickens, then throw in some ducks, geese, quail, guineas, turkeys and maybe an emu or two. We'll do our best around here to help you keep things from getting out of control! [​IMG]

6. mrste1984

mrste1984 New Egg

Apr 5, 2016
    We definitely plan on expanding over the next few years. If this year goes well with the chickens we'll add a bunch more next year. 12 seemed like a manageable number to start. If something happens to a couple during incubation or hatching we still have more than enough left, so let's say 10 hatch, that should give us enough chickens for my husband and I for eggs (it's just the two of us). If chicken raising and butchering go well we'll definitely expand our flock next year and will likely add a couple turkeys. Not sure about ducks though. If butchering goes well we're also considering a beef cow. And I want a couple goats for sure, just wee little guys for pets. But we don't want to make the mistake of biting off too much all at once! I've heard that's one potential downfall to becoming more self sufficient, you try to do everything all at once and get overwhelmed. If the husband had his way we'd be getting a bee hive even! I told him that's only happening if I stay at home...

7. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    That was our plan too...chickens, meat rabbits, goats and an enormous garden later...

Oh well, plans are made for changing!

It's nice to have you here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by