Hello from Manitoulin Island

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Coven House, Apr 14, 2012.

1. Coven House

Coven House New Egg

Apr 14, 2012
    Hello,
    I purchased 50 chicks with a friend. We lost 2 the first few hours, by drowning in the water thingy (that was not suppose to allow any drownings) then, steamed some by not venting well, having to do cpr on 25, and a handy hair blower, dried and warmed up the little gals.
    Later, once again they got all wet, and had to do cpr once again, and dry them off. Our friend took 25, well 26, and put a dish of water in my bin, and accidentally set it on 1, and then 2 more drowned. My hubby had to warm and fluff the 21 left. Our friend took his away, and mine have done well. We put them in their brand new pen a few days ago, and they are having fun, and growing.
    Any suggestions are welcomed, as we are very new to this, wanting to raise them organically. They are layer/meat birds.

Our friend gave us 2 full grown hens, and two roosters, however that has not gone very well.
    Brightest of Blessings,
    Coven House

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  2. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    Hello and :welcome
    Sorry to hear that things haven't gone so well at the start! Some people use hanging waterers so the chicks can't climb in. Good luck with the ones that you still have. :)
    Are you going to free range your chickens? The eggs are fantastic that way! I don't know much about meat birds, but you can ask around, there's a section on the forum for that.

Enjoy the site, and see you round. :frow

3. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D

My goodness sounds like you are having quite an adventure!

4. The Red Rooster

The Red Rooster Poultry Observer

What a piece of bad luck! Sorry to hear that. It sounds like your waterer was too deep. Try replacing it with a shallower one. [​IMG]

Welcome to BYC!

5. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Hello and welcome from Ohio...glad you joined us

6. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad you joined. :thumbsup

7. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

8. dreamer5577

dreamer5577 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Hi && Welcome!!!
    [​IMG]

9. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

10. Coven House

Coven House New Egg

Apr 14, 2012
    Yes, we are planning to free range. They will have free roam on our property, and be called in at night. We got them for meat and layers, however, having worked on them, to revive them, I'm not sure if my husband will have the heart to kill them. Myself, I'm trying to be a vegan.
    Thank you for your time on the posts, I really appreciate any advice you could provide.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by