Hello from Mansfield Texas.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Daniel83, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Daniel83

Daniel83 Hatching

Mar 28, 2015
    I am new to chickens and we have 6 straight run chicks. 1 Rhode Island Red 1 Production Red 1 Light Brahma 1 Cinnamon Queen 1 Jersey Giant 1 California White. My coop is built but needs paint, and they are now in a brooder made from an old dishwasher box. Found this site because the chicks seem to be picking on the Light Brahma and pecking at her wing area where the wing is coming from the chickens body. I secluded her with a box taped to the bigger box and put 1/2 hardware cloth in between so they can still communicate and hopefully she can heal up and be ok. Was looking for ways to help keep them from going at her again. The RIR, JG, and CW are 18 days old and LB, CQ, PR are 11 days old.

Edit "add on"
    We are hoping for 3 of them to be girls and have some Pet chickens that we happen to get eggs from.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  2. Daniel83

Daniel83 Hatching

Mar 28, 2015
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
  3. Daniel83

Daniel83 Hatching

Mar 28, 2015
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Oh such a sweet little baby. Hope she heals fast. You've come up with a clever design to keep her in the mix , so to speak. Was just one pecking at her or several?

Maybe once she heals you will have a couple docile chicks, she can hang with.

5. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Good luck with your light brahma I hope she is back to full health soon. Certainly the right thing to do to keep her seperate untill the wounds have healed. Chicks do have a habbit of pecking any thing that looks slightly red. I had to do the same with a chick out of my first hatch of the year. Some one nipped her vent and it was slightly red so then eveyone had a go. After a few days in a seperate box she was fully healed and able to go back in with her hatch mates.

Wishing you the very best of luck and hope you enjoy BYC :frow

6. Daniel83

Daniel83 Hatching

Mar 28, 2015
    It does seem she did it to herself, but a couple other birds walk over and hit her in the same spot too. Its much more red then the picture shows. I have walked in to check on them and she always seems to have her head twisted around picking at the spot, I never noticed her doing that till the JG pecked at her then I looked it was partially red then came back again another bird pecked at her and it was much more red.

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Crowing

Jul 24, 2013
    Hello, and welcome to BYC![​IMG] I'm glad you joined our community.

Sounds like you have a nice variety of chicks! Good luck with them.

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined! :)

9. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Crowing

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    Hello :frow and welcome to BYC!

10. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Queen of the Coop

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Hello [​IMG]and Welcome to BYC![​IMG]

Glad to have you join! Feel free to make yourself at home!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by