1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hello from Mar Vista

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Kayandemma, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Kayandemma

Kayandemma Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2012
    Hi everyone

I finally am back to some chickens. I grew up on a farm in England and we always had chickens, bantams, geese (the best guard "dogs").

I found someone who had to move and needed to get rid of their coop, run and 5 birds. They are all about 14 months old and I have 2 easter eggers, a copper Marans, a Silkie and another that I think might be a red cross (but not sure about that). The kids love going out in the morning letting them out, feeding them and checking for eggs. So far in 13 days we have had 27 eggs (and most of those have come from the EEs and the unidentified one). The silkie is moulting (and at the bottom of the order) so the poor thing is looking very sorry for herself. The Marans is the boss lady and has only deemed to give us 1 egg so far. They are all really skittish (have not been handled very much) so I am slowly trying to get them more familiar with people and getting handled. They will finally eat from my hand (all except one) and one will let me pick her up.

Now my dilemma is that I ordered chicks (before I found the insta-setup) and I have to decide whether to cancel, or go ahead and raise them. I would like a couple more (Plymouth Barred Rock and a light Brahma) but then I have to worry about introducing the pullets into the older bird flock. The chicks wouldn't arrive until the end of June anyway so I have a bit of time to decide.

Looking forward to getting back to chickens.

Kay

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D

You will need to keep chicks separate from your layers until they are all the same size. Young birds should not eat layer feed until they are close to laying, but you could feed an all flock feed and keep oyster shell available for your older hens.

3. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad you joined. Good luck, I like having mine at the same time so I don't have to mess with introducing young and old. :thumbsup

4. dreamer5577

dreamer5577 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Hi && Welcome!!!
    [​IMG]

5. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

6. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

7. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by