Hello from Martinsburg, WV

Maewings

Hatching
Mar 23, 2015
I'm the suburban girl who married a boy who grew up with a grandfather who was a farmer. We inherited his grandfather's farm that was built with train track boards holding up the house. It's brick and we have 20 acres. On this farm originally, it had cows and pigs. His grandfather was "the" pig person to come to for advice. Life got in the way of my husband learning a lot of his grandfather's way of life and didn't get a lot of teaching from him. When we married in 2002, we were able to get the farm and use it for the use of his daughter in the 4H and FFA programs.

We started with chickens - Longhorns. We visited a chicken auction in Winchester, VA. We bought a rooster. We learned how to build chicken-wired cages and in about a month or two, I found out I became allergic to chicken feathers. Oops.
My doctor said the only thing I could be around on the farm would be pigs...lol

So, as school went on in 4H, we inherited Boer goats and we adored those and had a blast. My husband built a roost way back in the back away from the house and housed Rhode Island Reds. Sweet ladies and lots of brown eggs. We had so many we couldn't give them away fast enough.

Two years ago his daughter got into the FFA part of schooling and we ventured into the pig program. I think we've had about six pigs altogether in the past two years. Learned a lot including the ham and bacon sale.

Now, she's in college and we're trying to clear the land for animals to try to start up what his grandfather started.

We are currently looking for Jersey Giant chickens, the black ones. They seem to be the best we've had.

My husband has been the one going to the Chicken Stocks to find chickens, but seem the dates aren't displayed in time and miss out on good finds.

Hello
frow.gif
and Welcome to BYC!
woot.gif

Glad to have you join! Feel free to make yourself at home!

What a bummer! Go to "where am I, where are you," in the social forum to locate and post on your state thread. Be sure to mention you would like to know of Chicken Stocks, swaps etc. If someone knows, I am sure they would oblige.

Hello, and welcome to BYC!
welcome-byc.gif
I'm glad you joined our community.

I hope you can find the Jersey Giants you're looking for! You may also want to check out the Buy-Sell-Trade section to see if anyone nearby is selling Jersey Giants: Buy ~ Sell ~ Trade

Back
Top Bottom