Hello from Maryland

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by OnBorrowedWings, Aug 21, 2011.

1. OnBorrowedWings

OnBorrowedWings Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2011
    Love this forum! I've already spent many hours over the past few weeks (you all know how that goes - addictive indeed) learning about chickens. I find the coop building stories absolutely riveting.

Sadly, no chickens yet! Still gleaning information and trying to decide which breed would be best for our little farm. I have already learned sooo much and am blown away by the knowledge and generosity of the experienced folks here.

I live on 20 acres in Western Maryland in an 18th century stone farmhouse and am examining the various outbuildings with an eye to which one would make the best coop conversion.

My vocation is training dogs, and my hobbies are training and exhibiting my dogs in conformation, obedience, agility, musical freestyle, herding, and hunt tests. I'm also blessed with four Lipizzan horses, and dabble a bit in various horsemanship and dressage pursuits.

Thanks in advance for the input; I'm sure I will have a gazillion questions as I get closer to my chicken project.

Betty
    Heartsease Farm
    Sharpsburg Maryland
    1 elderly Border Collie, 1 young hooligan Irish Water Spaniel, 3 Pyrenean Shepherds, a six pack of 5 weeks old Pyr Shep puppies (see puppy pics at www.madcap.name and some YouTube video at MadcapPyrSheps), 4 Lipizzans, 14 Clun Forest and Clun/Shetland cross sheep, an ancient Tonkinese house cat and 3 barn cats, a great son, and the best husband EVER

2. chi-rn

chi-rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    [​IMG]

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    [​IMG] from Kansas![​IMG] I like your approach of learning first and then getting some birds. Of course I went the opposite - got the birds knowing nothing and had to discover as I went - thank goodness for BYC!! [​IMG] Good luck! [​IMG]

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

5. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    [​IMG] from Missouri [​IMG]

6. Kountreefok

Kountreefok Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Graceton, MN
    [​IMG] Hi and welcome!
    "I live on 20 acres in Western Maryland in an 18th century stone farmhouse" < Cool!
    Looks like you have specific tastes in kritterz, too. It'll be interesting to see what you decide on for your flock. Please do keep us posted.

7. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    [​IMG]

8. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you became a member of this great site. [​IMG]

9. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana!

10. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from WA. glad you joined us [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by