Hello from Maryland

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by moselys, Sep 26, 2012.

1. moselys

moselys Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2012
    Hi! I live in southern Maryland and got my first 6 chickens just before Easter of this year. By the middle of July, I had lost 5 of them. So now I only have 1 White Rock and she is beautiful. She is very friendly and loves when we come out to visit her. She laid her first egg two days ago, we were so happy. I have 3 children that I homeschool, they are 14, 11, and 5. We have 1 dog, 2 cats, 2 guinea pigs, and just got 2 ducklings (unfortunately I have no idea what kind they are). I stumbled upon this site back in February when we decided we wanted to get chickens. I have found a lot of useful information that answered many of the questions we had. Thank you for this site!

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, mosleys, and [​IMG]! Happy you joined us but sad to hear you lost 5 of your 6 birds! I have always understood that chickens need other chickens around to be happy - that they are so social they kind of freak out without it. Maybe yours is adjusting or has "adopted" the ducks as companions. Whatever the case, happy you are here and good luck to you!

3. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

5. nova022

nova022 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2012
    Welcome To BYC!

6. jbirds2012

jbirds2012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2012
    paicines, ca.
    [​IMG]

7. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad to have you aboard. I hope you can find her another playmate. Good luck. :thumbsup

8. Red Barn Farms

Red Barn Farms ~Friendly Fowl~

Apr 12, 2012
    Kentucky Heartland
    Hello Moselys! Greetings from Kentucky. So sad hearing how you've lost five out of six chickens. Do you know how they were all lost? Did you have them free-ranging? Best of luck to you and your one chicken. Congratulation on your first egg!

[​IMG]

9. moselys

moselys Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2012
    It happend over night,they were locked in the coop. This first night it was 2 chickens and we thought we fixed how "what ever it was" got it but then a week later it came back and got 2 more. The funny part is the one chicken we still have my kids named Loner because she was always off doing her own thing, she never really "hung out" with the other chickens and now she truly is a loner. Since the second attack we have housed her in one of our sheds during the night and put her out in the coop/run during the day. At first she wouldn't go in the coop she just stayed outside but now she will go in.

10. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    :frow & :welcome from Alabama. Glad you joined us. So sorry about your losses :hugs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by