Hello from Melbourne Australia

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Horaldo, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Horaldo

Horaldo Just Hatched

Sep 25, 2016
    Greetings fellow cluckers. Glad I found this very resourceful forum.

We have 3 chooks that we got from our kids school. They had them as part of the grade 2 lifecycle program and after they hatched we decided to take a few home.

So I bought a small coop for them and finished building a chicken run on the weekend.

We are very happy, first pets for our boys. I'm surprised at how social they are especially when we eat outside as we have to fight them away from our food.

Cheers
    Horaldo

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi Horaldo and welcome to BYC - great that you have joined us and that you and your family are enjoying your chickens.

You'll find lots of info in the Learning Centre https://www.backyardchickens.com/newsearch?search=learning+centre and if you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

You may also wish to join your country thread - https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/598568/australia-six-states-and-that-funny-little-island and chat with members near to you.

All the best
    CT

1 person likes this.
  3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You might have to stop feeding them when you eat outside, they will reward you by hanging around all day and leaving poopy surprises for you. If that happens you will have to eat outside either in a different location OR NOT give them any treats. After awhile they may learn to poo elsewhere.

Anyway chickens seem to do that to lots of folks, from the posts I read. Welcome to Backyard chickens, glad you joined the flock [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hi there! Welcome, welcome! I hope you enjoy your little chickens and they prove to be alot of fun for the family!

5. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

Be careful about feeding them! I work at a poultry shop and thanks to feeding them during our lunch breaks, not only have they gained a sixth sense for food, they're also absolute pests and will practically jump into your arms to steal a bite! It looks like a scene out of Jurassic Park.

6. Horaldo

Horaldo Just Hatched

Sep 25, 2016

Guess they'll have to stay locked up in the chook run when we eat before they form any bad habits!

7. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings, Horaldo, and :welcome. Happy you joined our community! Looks like you've already received some great advice so I'll just say best wishes and enjoy your flock!

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

9. Horaldo

Horaldo Just Hatched

Sep 25, 2016
    So looks like we have one rooster. Anyone know of any rehoming places in Melbourne Australia?[​IMG]

10. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by