Hello from Michigan land!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by NIZZLE, Apr 3, 2016.

1. NIZZLE

NIZZLE New Egg

Apr 3, 2016
    Cedar Springs Michigan
    Howdy yall new to the chicken scene so far I'm having bad luck with my baby chicks and turkeys 3 chickens died and 1 turkey as well hoping to learn a lot from this place but it's frustrating when my kids and wife are crying everytime one dies. Hopefully I get the hang of it or I'll give up.

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I am sorry to hear you are having such a rough start in the hobby. There are many reasons that you can lose birds, especially when you are first learning the ins and outs of keeping them --- have you been able to identify yet the cause(s) of your losses? If not we can help you sort out what happened to the birds and try to help you avoid further losses. It can certainly be frustrating when you have an experience like you have, I do hope you are able to prevail as the rewards of having a happy, healthy flock in our life are well worth it.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. Are you providing a heat source and a balanced ration for your chicks and poults? Click on 'The Learning Center' located at the top of the page, and then go to the 'Raising Back Yard Chickens' forum and click on the 'Raising Chicks' section. Hope that your luck changes for the better.

4. NIZZLE

NIZZLE New Egg

Apr 3, 2016
    Cedar Springs Michigan
    I have not but if I had to guess I'd say it was stress and not enough heat as I was worried about them getting to hot. They seem to be doing better at this time.

5. NIZZLE

NIZZLE New Egg

Apr 3, 2016
    Cedar Springs Michigan
    Yes but I was worried about them getting to hot and kept turning the lamp off now I got it left on in such a way they can move if they get to hot.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    That's the best way, so they can move away from the heat if it's too much for them.

7. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - glad to have you onboard. I've only raised chicks using a momma hen, but of course raising them yourself is a different ball game altogether. As with anything in life, the more experience we have, the better we become, so stick at it and feel free to ask here on BYC.

Good luck
    CT

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by