Hello from Michigan

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by fearnowsh, Feb 1, 2016.

1. fearnowsh

fearnowsh Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2016
    Western Central Michigan
    Hi there. I am just starting out. Never had chickens or anything before (except for a pet dog). My husband and I are planning on getting a few ducks (Cayugas and Khaki Campbells) and a pair of geese (toulouse or french toulouse) this year though.
    We are just starting work on the coop! I actually found this site while doing some research on everything ducks and was pleasantly surprised at all of the info available on here!!
    I am also a rather crafty person. I love to sew and crochet and will dabble in a few other crafts as well. Right now it's just me, my husband and Lada-our miniature dachshund (she is an absolute sweetheart!) I currently work full time, and so does my husband, so any tips in particular that people have I would very much welcome!! (especially ways to keep water clean).

2. Adamschickfarm

Adamschickfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2014
    Oregon
    [​IMG] Welcome to the byc flock . my friend has some khaki cambells and they are very nice birds as for your water issue I would get a store bought chick, duckling , etc.. water they sell them in different size from day old to adulthood .

3. Birdrain92

Birdrain92 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 7, 2013
    Idaho
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined the flock! I use a water trough for my ducks and I dump it out when it starts getting dirty. Some people install a pond with a filter in it but I don't know how much it costs.

4. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to join the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC.

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. I'm a chicken person and don't know much about ducks (although I've had a few), but definitely post on our Duck section in Other BackYard Poultry under the Forum at the top of the page and take advantage of our duck experts there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

7. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

I've seen some duckling brooders set up where they use milk jugs with holes on the side just big enough for the ducklings to get their heads in the water but not so big they can climb in the water. And setting the water on a rack that's placed on top of a plastic tray will catch any dribbles and help keep the bedding dry. I'm sure the duck forum folks can give you lots of information.

Have fun and make yourself at home!

1 person likes this.
  8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens.

9. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - glad to have you join us.

I wish you the best of luck with ducks and geese!

CT

10. fearnowsh

fearnowsh Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2016
    Western Central Michigan
    [​IMG]
    First time trying a picture. Here is some flock :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by