Hello from Michigan!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by MI-Homesteader, Jun 27, 2016.

1. MI-Homesteader

MI-Homesteader Just Hatched

Jun 25, 2016
    Holly, Michigan
    Hello there! My Wife and I just finished erecting our coop and are going to be painting very soon. You can see our old coop setup in the background (was a small 6x6 triangle structure). We wanted to get more chickens and knew we couldn't pack more than 5 or 6 in the old one so I came up with this idea. My brother in-law had a new deck built so we took all of the wood from the old and used it to frame this one in, only thing I purchased were the 2x4's for the walls and the t1-11 siding, also that track for the door since I already had all of the rollers and everything, my total cost ended up being around $400. We now have 17 birds in total and plan on getting more next spring, were looking into hatching our own chicks so that will be a learning experience. Our run is a 50x50 farm fence that we put up a few years ago (I've got to cut those posts down haha) and we will begin building a covered run in the fall. I'm really liking this site so far and am going to be learning as we go using this

We have 10 acres and are planning on getting more animals next spring, what other animals do well with chickens? I'm trying to talk the wife into letting me get 2 pigs and we are also thinking meat goats, could we build a structure for them in the 50x50 chicken run? any advice is appreciated!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Athaid

Athaid Chillin' With My Peeps

The coop looks good :) Afraid I can't help with the goats but :welcome cya around!

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

4. uncertainty

uncertainty Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2015
    Great White North
    Hi;

Glad you are here. I am a fellow newbie, I stand in awe of your energy!! I did my first flock this spring plus the two puppies you see in the avatar. They are 6 months old now and a whole lot bigger. I am just about maxxed out, energy-wise. Looking forward to reading about the changes as your homestead develops.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Nice looking coop - does it have sufficient ventilation under the eaves?

6. MI-Homesteader

MI-Homesteader Just Hatched

Jun 25, 2016
    Holly, Michigan
    They are completely open and hardware clothed, I did that on purpose for ventilation. Also the window slides open and is open during the day/closed at night

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by