1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hello from Michigan!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Amerauchick17, Dec 23, 2013.

1. Amerauchick17

Amerauchick17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2013
    SE Michigan
    Hi! I'm relatively new to chickens, but thanks to being in 4H and having lots of helpful, knowledgable friends and lots of research I have 5 happy hens (technically pullets) in my backyard. They are about 9 month old now and even in winter I'm getting 4-5 eggs a day. I have a Barred Rock, 2 Buff Orpingtons, and 2 Easter Eggers, all are very sweet girls. I raised a few meat bjrds in the summer. Showed them in the fair this summer and got 3rd place....almost reserve champ. A pen of three out of my 5 total meat birds-- a small pool to choose from! My favorite breed is Ameraucanas, which I'm hoping to get for show, and maybe breeding. When I have space, that is. [​IMG]

I have a semi mobile coop made from a plywood shipping container found on craigslist. Total cost of the coop was about $50, mostly in roofing, hardware and paint. I had all the wood in my garage. It has a window with a screen, a built in roost bar, an external nest box, and a hinged roof. It's not super pretty, but functional and sturdy. I'm moving in the summer of 2014 to a bigger place where I can make a bigger, more permanent coop.
    [​IMG]
    I've really enjoyed my experience with chickens so far! Delicious eggs and meat and the joy of seeing those beatiful birds ranging in my yard... priceless.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

[​IMG] Always great to have some new members [​IMG]

I see you like EE's

gander007 [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. Amerauchick17

Dec 21, 2013
    SE Michigan
    EE's and Ameraucanas. My EE girls are very sweet, pretty chickens. What kind of poultry do you keep?

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Congrats on the 3rd place! Thanks for sharing the pics of your flock. That first one made me smile [​IMG]

6. petrel

petrel Chats with Chickens

Welcome to BYC

7. [​IMG]\
    Great pictures! [​IMG] I love your avatar!

8. Amerauchick17

Dec 21, 2013
    SE Michigan
    Thanks for the friendly welcome!:D

9. ChicknsRock

ChicknsRock Overrun With Chickens

Oct 4, 2013
    [​IMG]

10. Amerauchick17

Dec 21, 2013