Hello from Mid Missouri

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Galaxiedriver, Apr 25, 2009.

1. Galaxiedriver

Galaxiedriver Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2009
    Mid Missouri
    So here we are, entering full retirement [​IMG] (I hope) and planning things we want to do. Jan and I have decided that we want to raise our own chickens for eggs and fried chicken etc. We own 13 acres in the country just outside Columbia, Missouri. So far, it remains zoned Agricultural.

I play with my '62 Galaxie and '53 Farmall Super C tractor, I collect records of 50s and 60s music and play a little bass from time to time in smokey old bars. Jan quilts and sews and we both enjoy our grandkids. Every year, we plant a huge garden. I am a Mechanical Engineer and Jan is a Registered Nurse.

I am a Navy Submarine veteran and was raised on a huge dairy farm, Hobbs Dairy, near Pittsburgh, Pa. I was a Milkman during highschool on weekends and holidays when school was out. We had our own bottling plant and several trucks that delivered milk, home made butter, dressed chickens, eggs and cottage cheese. All fresh from our farm and home made. Sadly, those days are long gone.

Jan was raised in Chicago and is an Avid Cub Fan hoping that this year is the "next year" all Cub fans keep waiting for.

On our farm, we had two huge chicken houses and typically had 400 to 600 chickens all the time. Grandad would only have Rhode Island Reds. My brothers and I always had a few Bantys around for fun.

So that's us. We think we would like to start with a dozen chickens. Our first task is to build a coop and I have found several I like on the BYC site. We will have our work cut out to make it predator proof as we have racoons, coyotes, red foxes, opposums, red tailed hawks, great horned owls and skunks all around our little farm. My current thought is to make the coop about 8 by 16 ft with a flat sloped roof and fence off an area about twice that size. I think because of the hawks and owls the yard area will have to have the overhead fenced as well.

The second task is to settle on a breed of chicken. The top two choices on our list today are the Rhode Island Reds and White Leghorns. Any suggestions for others would be much welcome. We want friendly chickens that lay lots of eggs.

I do have one other little problem. Jan doesn't think she and the grandkids could stand to see one of their chickens named betsy or something sitting roasted on the dining room table.

Very glad we found the site and look forward to lots of chicken chat.

2. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    [​IMG] from TN

3. mjjobbins

mjjobbins Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    Bartlett, TN
    Welcome [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

From Bagdad KY.

5. Chew593

Chew593 Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] and thank you for serving our contry. You sound like you have a great set up and all you need is some lumber and hardware cloth! Let us know when you get your chicks. I have 6 in the run and 4 in the brooder. I'm having more fun with chickens and they've quickly become an important part of our family.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
  6. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

Welcome to you and Miss Jan! It's nice to "meet" you, and I hope you enjoy this forum. There are LOTS of wonderful, friendly, knowledgeable people who are generous with their time and experience. There are others who are generous with their BS, cutting up, and teasing, [​IMG] , and that makes it all the more fun! Enjoy! Put your feet up, and stick around awhile... [​IMG]

7. Galaxiedriver

Galaxiedriver Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2009
    Mid Missouri
    Quote:Thank you Chew. We won't be officially commencing our chicken venture until Mid June. I am finisning up a year-long construction job in New Mexico. May 15 is my last day then Jan and I are taking the long way home via colorado, yellowstone, Montana etc in ouir RV. We will be home in early June then head to the lumber store for the coop materials. We have a nice sun room on the south side of our house to keep the chicks in until the coop is complete.

BTW, I have a Harley too.

8. Chew593

Chew593 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Thank you Chew. We won't be officially commencing our chicken venture until Mid June. I am finisning up a year-long construction job in New Mexico. May 15 is my last day then Jan and I are taking the long way home via colorado, yellowstone, Montana etc in ouir RV. We will be home in early June then head to the lumber store for the coop materials. We have a nice sun room on the south side of our house to keep the chicks in until the coop is complete.

BTW, I have a Harley too.

We love to ride! Ours is an 03 electraglide. you let us know if you ever make it through northern california!

9. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    [​IMG]
    And leghorns come in lots of diffrent colors,you dont have to just get white...
    As for a nice bird Sussex....

10. Missouri Maiden

Missouri Maiden Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Southwest Missouri
    Welcome from a fellow Missourian!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by