1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hello from Mike Harris "Colonel MIke"

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Colonel Mike, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Colonel Mike

Colonel Mike New Egg

Dec 13, 2012
    My name is Mike Harris and I have a small farm in rural South Central Oklahoma. I am a Chef and a partner in a local catering/personal chef business. My partner and I began last spring with gardens to raise our own vegetables and we have decided to branch out and begin raising our own chickens. Hopefully by the end of 2013 I will also have a couple of cows to add to the menagerie, but with the ever increasing price of poultry and eggs, as well as beef we thought that we could more effectively produce our own and provide our customers with fresh egg products and vegetables. This is a full time endeavor for me and I am looking for all of the information that I can get to make this a success. I look forward to hearing from all of you more experienced chicken farmers, and hearing your experiences. My wife has been a "country girl" all of her life and this will not be her first rodeo, but she had a mean and nasty rooster that plagued her childhood so, she is not as willing as I am, but she will most certainly change her mind as this gets going. I am looking forward to getting started and to hear form all of you.

2. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG] from California!

3. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Hello, and Welcome to BYC!!!
    [​IMG]

4. Colonel Mike

Colonel Mike New Egg

Dec 13, 2012
    Thanks for the welcome.

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Mike, and [​IMG]! Great to have you with us! Sounds like a good business idea! I think your wife will come around once she's surrounded by some friendly chickens! Good luck to you!

6. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

7. Colonel Mike

Colonel Mike New Egg

Dec 13, 2012
    Thank you all I appreciate your warm welcome. She will come around and make it difficult to eat the tasty birds when the time comes. They'll be her friends.

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] Don't tolerate ornery roosters - they make excellent coq au vin. Who am I to tell you that? [​IMG]

9. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

10. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Good luck with your chicken venture!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by