Hello! From Minnesota!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by MNHobbyFarm, Mar 28, 2012.

1. MNHobbyFarm

MNHobbyFarm New Egg

Mar 28, 2012
    Hello! I figured I'd introduce myself. I'm a mother of 4 and have a hobby farm in Minnesota. I'd like to add some chickens to the mix! We are turning a small shed into a coop and I'll post pictures as soon as its farther along.

I was wondering that type of chickens would do well in our climate, be good layers, and be fun and interesting to look at. I'd like for my children to learn more about where our food comes from and I figured a great way to do it would be to get some chickens for them to care for and get eggs from.

I am excited to learn more and take a step into chicken ownership. :)

2. Kate1

Kate1 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2012
    Pensacola, FL
    Welcome, MNHobbyFarm,
    Are you planning to have a large flock or just a few hens? I researched chicken breeds online but the most helpful was talking to the lady who owns my local feed store. She knows most of the chicken owners in our area, what breeds they prefer and why. It could help to consult with your local feed store to find out what breeds do really well with your cold winters.
    Kate

3. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    [​IMG]
    Checking out the different sections on this site will be a great help as well. Good luck!

4. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG]

5. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

7. Timbertoes

Timbertoes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    Welcome
    I am in Anoka County. Where are you? I got my first hens in July of last year. They all did well through the winter (although it was very mild). I have 6; an Australorp, Welsumer, Golden Laced Wyandotte, Easter Egger, Barred Rock and a Gold Star. When choosing what I wanted I made a list of what I wanted from the experience. My criteria they needed to fit into was; Winter hardy, colored egg layer, dealt with confinement well, docile (I have 5 kids) and I didn't want any that were super broody by nature. My gold star, EE and Welsumer have been laying every day. The Welsumer egg is beautiful! My EE is a brown egg layer rather than green, that's a bummer. My BR is the best bird, she is the first for everything! She is soooo full of personality. I have been loving the chicken experience so much that I am planning another coop and will be putting eggs in my incubator next week.
    Karla

8. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

9. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

10. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So happy to have you aboard. :thumbsup

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by