hello from Mississippi

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by pknowles, Feb 13, 2017.

1. pknowles

pknowles Just Hatched

Feb 13, 2017
    Hattiesburg, Mississippi
    Hi,

I just received 4 new chicks from a friend. A little nervous but excited. I have a black sex-link, a rhode island red, a doninque and a buff orpington. Suppose to be all hens (but we'll know soon enough) I'm very excited about this. They are so cute and sweet. Only had them 2 days. Rushed to Tractor Supply to get a light, feed and water containers. Right now they are in a cardboard box inside the house, but I know they will soon outgrow that. Any ideas and money saving tips would be helpful at this point. Oh, and my boyfriend has started a small coop.

Thanks,

2. N F C

N F C gobble gobble Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

The best place to start is with the Learning Center (there's a tab for it at the top of the screen). Also, it would be a good idea to read up on coops (how large to make them, how to make them predator proof, etc.), that way you won't find yourself in a scramble to revise an existing structure.

Best of luck to you!

3. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there, and my warmest welcome to the flock! I am quite pleased you decided to join us, please pull up a chair and make yourself at home here! I hope you enjoy it here as much as I have! :frow

~Cuz

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Hello from Kansas, pknowles, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined us! Best wishes!

5. pknowles

pknowles Just Hatched

Feb 13, 2017
    Hattiesburg, Mississippi
    Thank you for the warm welcome! I will familiarize myself with this forum and how to navigate to the information I will need. From what I have seen so far. This will come in extra handy and I am looking forward to making some "chicken friends".

PK

6. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under pknowles [​IMG] Welcome!

Definitely check out the Learning Centre, lots of great tips there.

You might want to also pop in and say hello on your local thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

Best wishes to you and your little ones.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Please be certain the chicks cannot touch the light and that it is securely mounted in 2 different ways to prevent it from falling on top of them. Welcome to Backyard chickens

8. pknowles

pknowles Just Hatched

Feb 13, 2017
    Hattiesburg, Mississippi
    [​IMG]
    These are my babies now at about 7 weeks. I took them outside for the first time. Coop is almost ready!

9. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Chicken Obsessed

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    Very cute! Is the barred chick a cockerel?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by