Hello from Missouri

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by HippieChick76, Apr 6, 2012.

1. HippieChick76

HippieChick76 Blossom Backyard Farm

Apr 5, 2012
    Missouri
    My children and I recently purchased chicks to watch them develop for a science project. The idea was that they would all go live at their grandparent's farm when they were ready to leave the brooder. That plan went out the day we brought the newly hatched chicks home, lol! We purchased our chicks from a local hatchery.

We live in a city that limits the number of chickens you can keep, so most of our chicks will be going to my in-law's farm. We have six light brahma pullets, six golden laced cochin bantams (straight run) and five red cochin bantams (straight run). We lost one of the red cochin bantam's on hatching day~good lesson about how not all chicks will survive, but a sad experience for my youngest. Four of our bantam chicks will get to reside in our backyard coop ~ once it is built that is, lol!

My husband finds it amusing that a few short-term house guests have now determined what I'm doing with our backyard. He is on-board and willing to help build our coop. The only problem is that neither of us have ever built anything on our own. It should be an interesting project. We are going to work on leveling the location this weekend. We hope to start building it soon since the chicks hatched this week. I know time will fly by and soon those cute little chicks will be ready to head outside.

I look forward to getting to know everyone here on the forums. I look forward to learning more about having chickens. I am glad I found this site. It has lots of great information!

Andrea

2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG]

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

4. southcitychicks

southcitychicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2012
    St. Louis, MO
    welcome to another missouri gal!

there are tons of great ideas for coops around here.

5. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG]

6. chickmama1662

chickmama1662 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    Welcome! What part of MO are you in?

7. Pumpkin King

Pumpkin King Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2012
    A big ole welcome from Razorback Country!!!

8. HippieChick76

HippieChick76 Blossom Backyard Farm

Apr 5, 2012
    Missouri
    We moved to Lebanon a few years ago for my hubby's job. We are in Springfield several days a week :)

9. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

10. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    Hello and :welcome
    I wish you all the best for building your coop! It can be a big job, especially if you've not done anything like it before. We're here to help you along the way if you get stuck. ;)
    Enjoy your chicks. Sad that you can't keep them all. :(
    Enjoy the site, see you round. :frow

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by