Hello from Missouri

alimcmurry9

Hatching
5 Years
Feb 18, 2014
Saint Louis
Just a wanted to take a moment to say hello! I've spent a decent amount of time reading through here, on the various threads, long before I got any chickens. By chance, a buddy of mine mentioned his chickens and that his sister was moving to TX, minus her two RIR's. In short, I became an instant owner of two hens a laying!

In early February I added one each, Barred Rock and Buff Orpington chicks, to try them and keep egg production going (I have 7 kids!) when the two original ones age. The RIR's give me an egg each a day, the look good to me with an occasional rough gritty texture, but they are almost always good hard shells with a dark yellow yolk. Kids love 'em!

I just started my first batch of fermented feed and am excited to see how it turns out. I also started buying crickets from a local reptile store to increase their protein intake. The crickets never got very far. I'm also working on building my own hen house and have a large wooden box used for shipping motor parts. We'll see how that goes...

So Hello to everyone and am looking forward to learning a lot more.

Mark & Alison

Last edited:
Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Good luck with your chicken projects! It's fun to watch the chickens chase the crickets for sure!

images

Sounds like you are really enjoying your new chicken hobby!!

Great to have you aboard and enjoy BYC!

Back
Top Bottom