1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hello from MN

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chickyfarm, Mar 24, 2015.

1. chickyfarm

chickyfarm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2015
    Hi all.

I'm from MN, and just ordering my first chicks. We moved to 6 acres last fall, and the pre-existing barn is going to be partially turned into a coop. I plan on free ranging when outside, but have already seen hawks and eagles flying over so my chickies will need to stay safe when we're not home.

I ordered 10 RIRs and 5 Americanas, as we want these for layers. Next year we will be raising some for meat.

So far, I have the brooder from fleet farm, which will be placed in a plastic kiddie pool in the garage until chicks are big enough for the coop. I have 2 small plastic waterers that are safe for baby chicks, and 2 of those 8 hole feeders for hopefully less mess. I plan on pine shavings with paper towels over the top for the beddings. I will also be adding org ACV to their water and trying to ferment their food. Then there's the heat lamp with red bulb. I do plan on medicated feed for now.

Any other advice? I've been reading over tons of posts here from feed choice, to worming, to natural things to keep birds healthy.

Oh! I also want to get a few guinea that I would leave to free range when they get bigger. I don't want a ton, so if anyone knows someone in MN that can sell maybe just 4, that would be awesome.

Nice to be here, this place is a wealth of information!

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    1 person likes this.
  3. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Hello [​IMG]and Welcome to BYC![​IMG]

Glad to have you join! Feel free to make yourself at home!

1 person likes this.
  4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Hello, and welcome to BYC![​IMG] I'm glad you joined our community.

1 person likes this.
  5. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Congrats on your impending chicks :celebrate Sounds like you are all prepared with your brooder. Drop by the buy sell trade section for any guineas that may be for sale https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/67/buy-sell-trade Once you have a post count of 20 you can participate in that section.

Be sure to ask any questions you may have, everyone here to help and very friendly.
    Enjoy BYC and your new chicks :frow

1 person likes this.
  6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC!

1 person likes this.
  7. chickyfarm

Mar 19, 2015
    thanks for pointing me to the Minnesota section :)

8. chickyfarm

Mar 19, 2015
    thank you :)

9. chickyfarm

Mar 19, 2015

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Wow, you've studied hard and have really done your homework. [​IMG] You are so welcome to Backyard chickens - very glad you joined us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by