Hello from Mobile, AL

carlf

Chirping
Jul 2, 2016
Mobile, AL
Hi! Just joined.
Live down in Mobile, AL.
Growing up in PA, I raised RIR/Barred Rocks. Had 9 hens and big badazz rooster. Good memories of those birds.

After a 28 year absence from chicken keeping, back in spring 2014, we built a small coop. Friends who have a small farm ordered chicks and we got 2 Barred Rock and 1 Cuckoo Maran pullet chicks from them: Momma Hen, Little Hen and Stripie. Stripie died (possum) back in December but we still have the 2 Barred Rocks.
Little Hen has gone broodie every few months since she matured, so this spring we let her set fertile eggs (Light Brahma rooster x Ameraucana & Silver Leghorn hens). She hatched all 11 and has a been a great mom.

Here's some pics of our birds:
Our hens, when they were not being productive!

1 day old:

Week or so old:

8 weeks old, I only see 1 rooster for sure! Feel free to comment on the sex of these birds!:

:frow Hi, and :welcome

On the last pic, one definitely looks like a cock, but the rest of them look lien pullets! Did you order them that way, or did you just have an amazing hatch? :D

welcome-byc.gif

There are a few of us out there that would love to have your pullet luck!

Thanks!

Here another pic. Like I noted, these are Light Brahma rooster x Ameraucana hen and Light Brahma Rooster x Silver Leghorn hen crosses.
From comb color, tailfeathers and behavior, I think the ones marked Roo are roo's (nard to see, rear right, rear far left and foreground center).
Pretty sure the other dark (Ameracuana mother) one is a pullet.
Others???

Last edited:
Thanks! Here another pic. Like I noted, these are Light Brahma rooster x Ameraucana hen and Light Brahma Rooster x Silver Leghorn hen crosses. From comb color, tailfeathers and behavior, I think the ones marked Roo are roo's (nard to see, rear right, rear far left and foreground center). Pretty sure the other dark (Ameracuana mother) one is a pullet. Others???
Maybe the dark one in the very front. In your other pic, is it the one with its head tucked in?

Yes, that was the one with its head tucked in the above photo.
The in the back right acts more "rooster-ish" than the others. Tail feathers are also more curly & Pointed.

Last edited:
Thinned the flock this morning, I am sure 4 were roosters, 1 other sure looked like a roo (pointy tail feather, red triple row pea comb) other than its legs were a little thinner.
One was a bird that was not getting any of its body feathers, has lost 99% of down but only had wing, some tail, head and neck feathers. So I culled it.
Fresh chicken for the BBQ tomorrow.

That leaves me 5 chicks, 4 of which I am sure are pullets, 1 undecided but leaning that way. I will post updates.

Either way, pretty good success for 11 eggs under a first time setter.

Little Hen started laying again for first time since went broody back at the end of April. Shes become intolerant of the chicks being too close to her as well.
I am sure she will go broody again in 3-5 weeks.
Is there a market for broody Barred Rocks?? Maybe I should rent her out!

Back
Top Bottom