Hello from Montreal.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by bbqkingfish, Jun 11, 2013.

1. bbqkingfish

bbqkingfish New Egg

Jul 9, 2011
    Hi,
    I started building a coop last summer. It is our first chicken endeavor. My plan was to let each of my four children pick out a chicken. We drove an hour north of the city and the kids each picked. Nobody would pick the Ameraucana I had my eye on. My pick made five 7 week old pullets. Yesterday was day 1. The kids turned over the compost and fed the girls more bugs then they should have. The chicks decided it was more comfortable to sleep in the corned under their new coop instead of inside. My wife climbed under to get them. Today it is cold and rainy. The girls are happy staying in. Hopefully they will stay comfortable and will be happy to bed indoors on the next setting sun.

I have a big ask. I need to purchase feed, scratch, oyster shell, and diatomaceous earth. I would like to avoid driving an hour to get supplies. Any local people who can share their suppler?

Thanks,
    Randy

[​IMG]
    Julia and her pick, a buff silver laced brahma.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
    The idea got into my head about a year ago. Today is day 2 with our chickens.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]We have 5 chickens.[/FONT]

(3) What breeds do you have?
    We have 4 breeds. 2 Brahma, Ameraucana, Polish, and Cochin.

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
    Fishing with the kids. Time with the family time. Chickens, chickens, and more chickens.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
    I have a young family. Four kids between the age of 4 to 11. We have three dogs and now 5 chickens. I work in telecommunications for a company named TELUS. I mostly work from home which gives me lots of chances to peek at the chickens during the day.

2. jksranch

jksranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2009
    Streetman, Texas
    WELCOME TO BYC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Can't help you on supplies I'm in Texas.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] People seem to be evenly divided about the effects of DE - half think it does wonders in all situations (worming, de-lousing etc. etc.) the other half KNOW it doesn't work. So maybe you could save some $$$ by skipping it.

You could put Montreal in the search box and see if there is a dedicated thread for it.

4. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Randy, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined us! Adorable picture! Good luck to you on your chicken adventure!

6. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!!! [​IMG] Glad to have you aboard!! [​IMG]

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us!

8. bbqkingfish

bbqkingfish New Egg

Jul 9, 2011
    Thank you for the kind words. I found a feed store 30 minutes from the city.

1. MEUNERIE DEUX-MONTAGNES ENR
    139, RUE DU MOULIN
    ST-EUSTACHE, QC J7R 2P5
    450 473 4637

I found everything I need, good prices too. Now time to wait and hope for girls. [​IMG]

Regards,

Randy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by