Hello from MT!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by MrsBuff, Mar 1, 2015.

1. MrsBuff

MrsBuff New Egg

Mar 1, 2015
    Hey there, we are first time chick parents amd just brought our first 5 chicks home this morning. Sadly, we are down to 4 (one wasnt looking so hot when we got her and she passed). We have one Buff Orpington and (now) 3 rhode island reds. Excited to learn amd gain advice from all of you!!

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] I'm glad you joined our "flock!"

I'm sorry for your loss. [​IMG]Good luck with your remaining chicks, though! If you have any questions, we'll be happy to help.

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC.[​IMG] I'm glad you joined our community!

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your chick.[​IMG]I hope the others continue doing well!

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Sorry about the lost chick :hugs Good luck with the other chicks!

5. what's kickin' chicken

what's kickin' chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Missouri
    [​IMG]Welcome

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to the flock. Sorry for your loss - hope the others continue to do well.

7. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

So sorry to hear of your loss![​IMG]

8. MrsBuff

MrsBuff New Egg

Mar 1, 2015
    Is it possible they could have mereks so young? We lost anyother one last night the same way. Another RIR. Worried about my babies!

9. familyfarm1

familyfarm1 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 9, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Hello [​IMG] and Welcome to BYC![​IMG]
    So glad to have you join our community! Feel free to make yourself at home [​IMG]

10. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Sorry about the chicks :hugs you might want to post in the Emergencies forum also https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures Do you know how old the chicks are, what are you using for a heat source and are you using a thermometer to check the temperatures? ... and pictures of your brooder set up etc might help. Shipping stress is pretty common, it is not unusual for chicks to get chilled this time of year on the way to the store, and if the shipment is slow they can be underway for 2-3days. Be sure the other chicks are eating and drinking, you might still want to put Chick Saver or some sugar in their water (1tsp/quart) for a day or so. If they are babies they should be too young for Mareks (generally need to be at least 3-4 weeks old to show symptoms), nice article from the Learning Center on it https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by