Hello from NE Florida

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by RazeNCain, Jan 6, 2014.

1. RazeNCain

RazeNCain Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2014
    Just joined looking for new coop ideas. Last year on Easter I got my girlfriend (now fiancée) 6 chicks (3 RIR, 3 Cornish Rocks), was a little skeptical at first but learned to like them. They started laying in October and up until this past weekend, all the cold and rain we were getting 4-6 eggs every day. So I know we are at least keeping them happy. Read this site a couple hours a day for a few weeks trying to learn everything.

Well we currently have a small coop for our 6 and am going to be sending it to my Uncles house in two weeks which is when the local feed store will be getting some chicks. I plan on picking up 12-20, so I have ~2 weeks to get something built between work and the rain. We live on 10 acres, have seen foxes, coons, armadillos, possums, deer, hogs, hawks, and some crazy looking cross breeds (not sure). Love it out here wouldn't trade it for anything.

Don't have a huge budget but we have a 24'Lx8'Wx8'H kennel we currently use for a run so I plan to build the new coop on one side of the kennel and just attach it to the new coop.

Looking forward to reading some more, and maybe even provide some help sometime in the future.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome!

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
  6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC.

7. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC!

8. cstronks

cstronks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2013
    New Jersey
    I am also building a new coop to house roughly 20 birds, and I decided the best bet was to design it like a shed. I walked around Lowes and decided to go with an 8' x 12' shed design. It is easy to move around inside for cleaning, and provides more than enough space for a flock of that size. They also look really nice which is an added bonus. The framing is simple, the layout is easy to follow, and they materials are about $500-$800, depending on what quality you choose to get. Best of luck and welcome to BYC!

*Just a note, being in northeast Florida, you will probably be able to get by without insulation. This will help you cut costs.

9. RazeNCain

RazeNCain Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2014
    That's what I am considering doing. Currently have an 8x12 shed thats 12' high. It's getting too small for everything we have now and might just move the coop in there and build a newer bigger shed. The people that used to rent the place built the shed and used it as a play house, it's painted really bright pink and has white linoleum. Off to home depot now to check the latest prices on ply wood. January 16 is the official deadline now. Ouch!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by