Hello from NE Ohio! (with pics)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by 72Lark, Mar 31, 2012.

1. 72Lark

72Lark Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2012
    oHIo
    Recently, we bought a house out in the country, and decided that in addition to a garden, we wanted to raise chickens for eggs. So, last week, I picked up 6 pullets(minimum) at the local Tractor Supply(possibilities of breed were RIR,NHR,or Red sexlinks-not sure what we ended up with.). On Wednesday, I picked up some lumber to build the coop and run. Last night, I ran back to TS to pick up some chicken wire, and took my wife and kids along(1,6,8). Well, everybody wanted to go into the store, and spotted the Bantams. Since I'm building a 4'x8'x4' coop(BARN) with a 4'x8'x6' attached run(+4'x8'x2' under the coop), the thinking was that we had more than enough room for 6 more. [​IMG] All in, right? lol.

Picks of the first batch-last week.

[​IMG][​IMG]

This week-amazing how fast they grow!
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

The Batams that we just got this morning....straight run, no clue on breeds yet.

[​IMG][​IMG]

My youngest son, who just turned 6, taking a break...
    [​IMG]

2. crazychickenwom

crazychickenwom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Wow, what a great start already! I am from here in Ohio too! Just one question... are you planning to use the chicken wire as the main way to keep predators from getting your babies? I would like to suggest that if that is the case you consider also adding some electric fencing or upgrading to hardware cloth. While it is more expensive, it is worth it, chicken wire is more for keeping the chickens in, not keeping predators out...

Like I said, what a great start you have, and what cute chickies!! Good luck!

3. 72Lark

Mar 27, 2012
    oHIo
    Thanks!

My plan was to use the chicken wire to enclose the run-top and all 4 sides with ~2' underground and towed out. I was thinking of laying some wire on/in the ground as well. I can check into the hardware cloth as well..
    In addition to the run, I want to fence in about 1/4 of the back yard to allow them free roam while we are outside.

4. Angeleggster

Angeleggster Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2012
    Magnetic Springs, OH
    Hi, I am also a newbie in Ohio. Cute babies. Good luck with your flock.

5. mkcolls

mkcolls Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2011
    Ohio
    [​IMG] from NW Ohio!! You are off to a great start AND already excelling in chicken math. [​IMG] They get you every time.

DH & I had to keep the other from buying at TSC last week. It only worked because we had 25 eggs in the incubator and 19 more under two broody hens. The bantams were sooo cute.

6. 72Lark

Mar 27, 2012
    oHIo
    We're secretly hoping that there is a roo in the bantam bunch...if not, there is always next year.....or 6 months....or so. [​IMG]

7. 72Lark

Mar 27, 2012
    oHIo
    Thanks! You too.

8. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    :welcome
    :lau Wow, what a lot of chickens! The max we've ever had was four. You must be having a lot of fun there.

They're so cute though, nice pictures too. Your first few could really be anything. Ours turned out to be sexlinks, despite the label saying NHR at the feed store. :lol:

9. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us. Very cute pics [​IMG] Congrats on your chicks and good luck [​IMG]

10. 72Lark

Mar 27, 2012
    oHIo
    Never a dull moment around here! My only hope for the pullets is that they are good layers! [​IMG] When we first brought them home, it looked like we had gotten 3 pairs. But after a week...who knows. Guess that's the downside of Chick Days. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by