Hello from New Jersey!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by missalis, Apr 25, 2017.

1. missalis

missalis Just Hatched

Apr 25, 2017
    New Jersey
    Hi BYC Folks,

Although I'm new to BYC, I'm not necessarily new to chickens. I started about 2 years ago with a flock of 4 hens- 2 barred rocks and 2 ameraucanas (LOVE their green eggs). I keep them for eggs, but more importantly for gardening company and entertainment! They live in my backyard in a spacious, fully enclosed run directly next to my vegetable garden.

Recently I lost my top hen to the neighbor's bird dog, one of the barred rocks. The dog broke through the fence while my flock was out free-ranging while I was gardening. Although I was right there, there was nothing I could do to stop it. That was my first loss since starting with raising chickens and needless to say I was devastated. Then, just 2 short weeks after that I lost one of my ameraucanas suddenly and without warning. No signs of illness, no injuries, no predator break-ins. I think she may have been egg-bound, but showed no symptoms. This prompted me to get 3 new baby chicks, to keep up my flock and give my other 2 girls some more company.

So, I went to the local feed store and picked up one more barred rock and 2 speckled sussex pullets. All vaccinated from the hatchery. It's been about 3 weeks, and they have all been peeping away happily in their brooder. Yesterday I noticed one of the Sussex was looking a little droopy - standing still by herself, kind of hunched with her eyes closed. She is also noticeably smaller than the others, not growing as quickly and not eating. Her stool is a little runny, but no blood that I could see. The others are acting/eating normally, hopping around and being chickens. The symptoms say coccidiosis, but she's been vaccinated so I'm not sure. I've been keeping a close eye on her and administering electrolytes/probiotics in the water to see if that improves things before jumping right into medicating (Corid?). They are about 3 weeks old now, and I have been very diligent with changing feed/water/litter daily.

I have read posts on BYC for the past 2 years, only as an observer, and it just seems like a great bunch of people and the advice so far (although I've never chimed in until now) has helped me get started in the world of raising chickens. I hate to be joining under such bad circumstances, but I feel like I've had the worst few weeks of luck with my chickies! I'm concerned there is something that I may be doing wrong. I posted about my new chick problem in a thread under the Emergencies/Diseases/Injuries an Cures forum category as well and so far the responses have been encouraging.

I am glad I finally decided to join the BYC community, and I look forward to hearing from everyone and getting to know the world of backyard chickening a little better! As far as my little chick goes, I will be doing all I can to try and bring her back to health. Of course any advice/suggestions are welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under missalis [​IMG] Welcome!

I am so sorry to hear of your losses and hope that your little one makes a full recovery.

I also hope you enjoy being an active BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

You might want to also pop in and say hello on your local thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hello and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us, but sorry to hear about your chick woes.

I see that you have posted in another couple of forums and I hope that the ER peeps can help out further.

Best wishes
    CT

1 person likes this.
  4. missalis

missalis Just Hatched

Apr 25, 2017
    New Jersey
    Thanks everyone for your welcome wishes! I am trying everything I can to help out the little one, no real responses on my other posts just yet. I am hopeful nonetheless.

Looking forward to connecting with more BYC friends!

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Is it possible the others chicks are bullying her away from feed and water? Were the chicks vaccinated for cocci or Mareks?

6. missalis

missalis Just Hatched

Apr 25, 2017
    New Jersey
    Yes, the bullying is definitely a possibility. I temporarily separated her from the others with her own food and water to see if that helps, but she's still not interested in food. I'm trying to help it along with some yogurt/egg yolk. They are all vaccinated for cocci but I'm not sure about Mareks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by