Hello From New Mexico } I just placed my order.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by desert farmer, Jul 27, 2014.

1. desert farmer

desert farmer Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2014
    Well we are new to chickens so after I placed my order I started searching forums and this one seems good..

I went with Ideal Poultry mostly its because everyone around me seems to use them and are happy with them..

We have a large coop that hasn't been used since i was a kid our plans are to start using it again..

My order was for 56 birds to start off with..

24 IDEAL 236 PULLETS (for the white eggs )
    24 RED BROILER ST RUNS (for the freezer)
    5 HATCHERY CHOICE GUINEA ST RUNS (for security)
    3 PRODUCTION RED PULLETS ( for brown eggs)

Don't ask why I chose these birds because I honestly just took a shot in the dark..

I want to add:

I am not a chicken farmer.. I stick to the cattle but my wife has the garden to keep her busy and my teenage daughters have lots of free time on there hands. so I told them the eggs that we don't use they can sell and split the money... The broilers will go in my freezer.....

If this works out I may ad another 50 or so birds with the -
    turkeys
    pheasant
    quail

2. LRH97

LRH97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Southern Illinois
    [​IMG] Welcome! Glad to have you with us. We'll be happy to answer any questions you may have. You'll definitely be secure with your Guineas. Better than most dogs, if you ask me.[​IMG]

3. N F C

N F C phooey! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Hello and welcome to BYC! This is a great place to learn and ask questions. I haven't ordered from Ideal myself, but I see that name come up quite a bit and from what I've read, people are happy with their birds. If the girls are going to be in charge of the chickens, you might want to point out to them the articles found within the Learning Center section...lots of good info there. Enjoy your birds!

4. desert farmer

Jul 27, 2014
    O-YA We are from New Mexico in the middle of no-where... Where I farm and ranch with my family...were a hour and 30 min from a town or anything realy and we only get rain if we truck it in :)

5. desert farmer

Jul 27, 2014
    Thanks for the welcome... the articles have already been made mandatory reading.... or i will read it and they get to clean the pens. [​IMG]

6. desert farmer

Jul 27, 2014
    I figure I will have lots of questions like why are turkeys and other birds out of season??? they go on vacation?/ I ordered a GQF 1602N Thermal Air Hova-Bator Incubator from walmart and it should be here tomorrow.... I am thinking I can get some eggs to hatch from ebay....

Again I dont no why i picked that one I'm just kinda flying blind.

7. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. Watch out for chicken math. Very few BYC members are immune to it. :eek:) Your have some good hybrid layers among your order. They should give you loads of eggs. I've ordered from Ideal several times and have been happy with their service and birds. If you have any questions about anything, feel free to ask. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

8. N F C

N F C phooey! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

9. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

10. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by