Hello from New Mexico!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by duckydoer, Mar 9, 2016.

1. duckydoer

duckydoer New Egg

Mar 9, 2016
    I have read on here before and thought it would be nice to have people I can ask questions of. My son is the "Chicken Whisperer" and all of his 35 birds (chickens and turkeys) are extremely gentle. They all take turns sitting on his lap, haha. He has a ch icken that he believes has bumblefoot. He can't bear to cut in and clean it out. She has been in the house for 2 days on a chair. She can't walk but is loving the attention other than that. We are going to try soaking it in the fish med. (Forgot the name off hand). Anywwy, is it normal when a chicken has an injury for her to stop laying eggs?

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Tell your son to submit a photo of her foot and post at "emergencies, diseases, injuries, cures, thread. This would be to confirm she has bumblefoot. I'm a squeamish person too, is there a vet that you could take her to?

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - glad that you have joined us. I agree about posting on the emergencies, diseases" thread and its not unknown for a chicken to stop laying when they are sick or distressed for some reason.

Good luck

CT

4. duckydoer

duckydoer New Egg

Mar 9, 2016
    Thank you both, I will post with a pic in the morning. Just to go into the vet office and see his face is $45. If they have to touch her or fix her it is more. Don't know if we can make that adjustment to the budget for a chicken. Even if she is his only Mottled Java.

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    I called a vet and he told me his fee which made me laugh (and he also started laughing) and he ended up telling me to forget about vets - the cost far outweighs the value of the chicken (to me, at least he was spot on - they are not my pets). If i can't treat an issue sans vet, then a chicken gets the chop.

CT

6. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

If you put bumblefoot in the Search feature (upper left, under the logo) you'll find posts about alternative methods to cutting the bumble out. I believe some people have had some luck with soaking but would encourage you to read up on it. I've had to do the surgery 3 times and honestly, it's not that bad...all 3 of my girls made it ok and are doing well.

Good luck to you and your son, thanks for joining us!

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

8. duckydoer

duckydoer New Egg

Mar 9, 2016
    I haven't replied because I forgot. I have been so busy and when we figured out how to fix her foot, other priorities took over. Anyway we ended up putting Smart Silver in her drinking water and her foot healed up and we sent her out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by