Hello, from newbie in SW Michigan

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by KathysDotcom, Apr 12, 2011.

1. KathysDotcom

KathysDotcom New Egg

Apr 12, 2011
    Hi, all! I've decided to learn about keeping chickens and take the plunge next spring. I figure if I'm still obsessed with them after a year of planning and preparation, that means I truly want to have them LOL! So I'll be doing lots of lurking on the forum, and lots of planning for next year.

I had a chance to visit a friend recetly who keeps chickens, and it was utterly charming! I could have pulled up a chair and sat with the chickens for hours-no need to go in the house!

I currently have one hubby, two mixed breed dogs, and hubby's bees ( although they died this winter). I'm interested in trying Brahmas for my first chickens, probably just 3 or 4. I love dogs, cartooning, and I participate in a couple Renaissance faires in the area. Thanks for all the great info shared here, and the wonderful pictures! Very inspiring!

2. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    [​IMG] If you stick around her elong enough, I'll put money on it that you'll have chickens before next spring. We are definitely enablers. And so you have already been turned onto "chicken TV" I think we all do it [​IMG]

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

4. KathysDotcom

KathysDotcom New Egg

Apr 12, 2011
    Chicken TV LOL, yup, dh has been watching bee TV for years, it's time I had my own station too!

5. Fractanimist

Fractanimist Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2011
    South East Michigan
    LOL! That's great - we've been watching the chicken station for a year now and just adding the bee station this spring...can't wait!

6. Countrypunk92

Countrypunk92 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    Portland, tennessee
    [​IMG] FROM TENNESSEE!

7. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    [​IMG] from Indiana!! [​IMG]

8. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. [​IMG]

9. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    [​IMG] from Missouri [​IMG]

10. kleinheksel farm

kleinheksel farm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2011
    Holland, MI
    also a new member from SW michigan... im in the Holland area (close by im sure). hope you enjoy planning for your future chicks... and stay away from TSC while they've got em, otherwise next spring will become this spring [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by