Hello from NH looking for advice...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by DCALHart, Mar 3, 2015.

1. DCALHart

DCALHart New Egg

Mar 2, 2015
    Hello All,

We live on a 12 acre homestead in SE NH. We currently have NH Reds, Buff Orpingtons and Araucanas. Oh yeah, and one Silver Laced Wyandotte. We are (I am) in the process of researching breeds as I'd like to focus on one breed that would be heritage/endangered in need of some breeding love and attention. Preferably a dual purpose breed. So, I found Back Yard Chickens and a wealth of information, thank you!! I currently have my eyes on Basque (euskal oiloa) chickens and am hoping to learn more about them here. I'm also interested in whether or not there are any breeders who may ship chicks/hatching eggs. I'm also open to other breed suggestions. I've looked at Dominiques, Dorkins and Anconas as well.

I look forward to learning from you all.

Carrie

2. ChickyChickens

ChickyChickens Chickening Around

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    I do not have any, but if you go to the buy and sell trade section you might be able to find someone! https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/67/buy-sell-tradeI think you have to have 20 posts to buy there though!

Alos...[​IMG] I hope yiu have a great time and learn a lot knew!

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Javas are another deserving breed. Your could try putting the Breed names in the search box to see what comes up. There may be threads for the particular breed and through that you would find fanciers and breeders. Good luck

4. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    Hello and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]
    We're glad you decided to join the ''flock''! Feel free to ask any questions you may have, there is a lot of great info on this site and I'm sure you'll find answers! [​IMG]

I have raised dominiques and even though they were hatchery quality, I really like them! I hope you find some eggs/chicks soon! Enjoy your flock!

5. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome Carrie

Glad you could join the flock! The breed section may be of some help to you, here is the link https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/category/chicken-breeds
    Definatly type in your breeds in the search box as drumstick diva suggested for threads to help you.

Good luck and hope you enjoy BYC, I am sure you will. Everyone here to help and very friendly :frow

6. DCALHart

DCALHart New Egg

Mar 2, 2015
    Actually, I was considering Javas as well. Thanks for the recommendation.

7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]I'm glad you joined our community.

I haven't raised any of the rare/heritage breeds that you're considering, so I can't be of much help. I suggest taking a look at their breed reviews for some helpful information:

Dominique
    Euskal Oiloa
    Dorking
    Ancona
    Java

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  9. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    *Oops, double post*

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  10. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] I'm glad you joined our community!

It sounds like you have a lovely flock! I think all of the breeds you're considering would be great.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by