Hello from NM!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ajamichelle, Aug 14, 2014.

1. ajamichelle

ajamichelle Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2014
    New Mexico
    Hello!

My name is Aja and I have seven chickens. I'm completely new to backyard chicken-keeping, having started in May upon graduating from college.

I have a degree in biology and my focus is in herpetology (reptiles and amphibians) and I love backpacking and camping.

I'm pretty positive one of my chickens is a rooster (which I'm excited about so far) and I'm going to post some pics next. :)

2. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Sounds like you have a great flock!

Good luck with them and your degree!

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome back to BYC! [​IMG]

Here here...down in the south central mountains of New Mexico! Great to have another New Mexican on board!

Enjoy all your adventures and welcome to our flock!

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC, Aja, and congratulations on graduating with a biology degree! Glad you decided to join our flock. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. I'm looking forward to seeing your pics. What kind of chickens do you have?

5. emmyeagle

emmyeagle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2014
    Central New Mexico
    Welcome from a fellow New Mexican!

6. ajamichelle

Aug 13, 2014
    New Mexico
    Hi everyone! Thank you for the warm welcome! I'm happy to see there are other folks from New Mexico here! This is the only time that's happened on the forums I've joined!

I just attempted to post a thread in the identification of breed type and gender forum using photobucket links to my photos, but received a message when I posted that this requires review by a moderator. Can someone give me an idea as far as what I should expect? Does that take a while?

I have two Turkens, two Rhode Island Reds, one Barred Rock, and then two recently acquired unidentified hens.

The two unidentified hens are missing feathers from harassment in their last home.

Here are some photos :)

Black Chicken (hen) just over 1 year old
    [​IMG]

Brown Chicken (hen) just over 1 year old
    [​IMG]

Lana (Barred Rock - hen) about 14 weeks old
    [​IMG]

Pam and Cheryl (Rhode Island Red - hens) about 14 weeks old
    [​IMG]

Malory and Scatterbrained Jane (Turkens - probably rooster and hen)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My puppy and kitten love the chickens. The chickens are skeptical.
    [​IMG]

7. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    You have a nice group of layers. The black hen is a Black Australorp. They are a very hardy breed; calm and gentle, and excellent layers of large, brown eggs. I think that your brown hen with the pea comb may be an Easter Egger, but it's difficult to be sure with all those missing neck feathers. If so, she will give you some type of colored egg. Good luck with your flock.

8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    The one you labeled as a brown hen is also a turken, some of yours have 'bow ties," on the neck and others are cleaned neck. Looks like you bought out all the turkens they had in stock. I'm surprised because not many people know turkens exist. Some that do, actually think they are turkeys.

Wow, that is some big puppy.

10. ajamichelle

Aug 13, 2014
    New Mexico
    Thank you so much! Another person was thinking that the black hen might be a Jersey Giant on a thread I posted in the Identification sub-forum. What characteristics are you seeing that say Australorp? (I'm still learning.) Her feet look yellow to me. Also, I was told that the previous owner was getting colored eggs. I'm almost positive the other chickens she had were a Leghorn and two Barred Rocks. So far, the brown hen has laid brown eggs... Any insight?
    [​IMG]

The brown chicken's egg is the bottom egg. It's a reddish brown.

Thank you so much Kelsie! :)

I don't believe the one labeled as a brown hen is a turken, because she has the capacity for a completely feathered neck. She's just missing quite a few, and the little waxy feather coverings are starting to come in (I don't know what those are called). Here's a photo...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I really adore my Turkens! They seem to be pretty readily available here, I wish I had more! I think my cockerel is so beautiful! I love his bow-tie. He is a big puppy :) Thank you so much for your response!

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by