1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hello from north Alabama

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Marylamb, Feb 6, 2015.

1. Marylamb

Marylamb New Egg

Feb 6, 2015
    Hi all, I am new to this site and pretty new to homesteading all together. My husband and I are originally from the rural St. Louis area and have started a homestead in north Alabama. We started with chickens and now have sheep, bees, pigs, two dogs, and a stray cat that took residency under the shed and keeps down the mice population in our chicken coop. I love the country life and want to learn every thing I can to be successful. Thank you all for allowing me to join your group!

Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
  2. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Fore!
    Hi and welcome to BYC! Sounds like you are off to a great start with your new lifestyle. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

What breed of chickens do you have?

If you would like to connect with other members in AL, you can find them here:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/29002/alabama

Nice to have you join us!

3. Pyrex

Pyrex Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2015
    Netherlands
    Welcome to BYC, how many chickens do you have?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
  4. Marylamb

Marylamb New Egg

Feb 6, 2015
    Hi and thanks for responding. I'm still trying to figure out navigation on this site. I started with a road Island Red rooster and a mixture of Amberlinks and rir hens. I have since added one Americauna hen and roo to the bunch. I now have a mixture of those breeds but it seems the RIR is dominate. I am currently hatching right now. I wish I could figure out how to get my hens to do the hatching!

5. Marylamb

Marylamb New Egg

Feb 6, 2015
    Right now we have 9 hens and 4 Roos and 3 two month old chicks that I'm not sure of yet. We are also incubating chicks and hope to get more next week.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You really can't "get" hens to sit on eggs. There are some breeds that are noted for being good broodies Silkies, Buff Orps, Cochins - it is a hormonal thing however, you cannot make them go broody . These three breeds seem to get "broody" fever often. When they are, you could even swap out their eggs for some other fertile breeds eggs you would like to hatch. Broodies will hatch and raise them as their own. Chicken folk often keep silkies just for that purpose, though they cannot "cover" as many eggs as larger breeds. They will give it their best shot though.

1 person likes this.
  7. birdman55

birdman55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2014
    central michigan
    My Coop
    welcome glad to have you...ask question....see you around.
    [​IMG]

8. ChickyChickens

ChickyChickens Chickening Around

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Welcome to BYC!!! There are loads of members on here…so if you have ANY questions…just ASK!!!

Hope you have loads of fun and all your answers answered here on BYC the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM on EARTH!!

[​IMG][​IMG]

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

10. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG] I'm glad you joined the "flock."[​IMG]

Good luck with your birds! I hope the hatching goes well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by