1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hello from North Carolina!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Jsweevil, May 29, 2016.

1. Jsweevil

Jsweevil Just Hatched

May 29, 2016
    I have been reading these forums for a while since they always show up in any google image search of chickens but I just now joined so I could actually get in on the conversations.

I have had my backyard flock for 3 years now, but I have had plenty of chickens, ducks, geese, guineas, and other sundry livestock in the past. In 1998 we moved to our current location which is inside city limits, although the "city" only has around 300 residents. Still we have to be careful when it comes to upsetting the neighbors. For years we only had pets like dogs, cats and a few rabbits. When my beloved dog died 4 years ago, we put off getting a new one, and I decided to go with chickens instead. Chickens can't be any noisier than a barking dog, their poop can be used in the garden, but dog poop can't, and you certainly can't eat puppies in the morning with a side of bacon. To me it was a much better alternative.

Asking around, there aren't any official ordinances against having chickens inside the city limits, and I have businesses on either side of me, and a public school across the road, so there really aren't many obstacles to raising them, and I already have a 5 foot chain link fence in a rather large back yard. Now I have a problem every Spring though. I cannot control myself. All it takes is the sound of peeping in the feed store to set me off. We have lost a few of our original small flock of 4 Buff Orpingtons, but each year we add more, Now we have Buff Orpingtons, Rhode Island Reds, Araucana, and this year added Amberlinks a few Cornish Cross for meat production, and three black surprises that I have no idea what breed they will be.

I really can't wait to get started in the forums and I look forward to being a member!

2. silkiecuddles

silkiecuddles FortheLoveofSilkies

Mar 1, 2015
    Florida
    Hi, and :welcome

OMGoodness, yes, those chick peeps in feed store bins get me every time. :love so hard to not take home a boxful. :lol:

3. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    :woot

4. Jsweevil

Jsweevil Just Hatched

May 29, 2016
    Oops I meant Ameraucana not Araucana! Thanks for the welcome!

5. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire UK
    My Coop
  6. Chicken Egg 17

Chicken Egg 17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    Hi and welcome to BYC I am glad you could join us make yourself at home and ask as many questions as needed.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by