hello from north Carolina

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by motomom219, Sep 6, 2014.

1. motomom219

motomom219 New Egg

Sep 6, 2014
    Hi, im very new to the chicken world. Ive been a new mom to a cute little chicken family for 2weeks now. One cochin bantam hen, three chicks, and roo. Ive been reading books but still have found very little as to when my hen will start laying eggs again. Her chicks are now 11 weeks and she and they will not leave each other's side. Is she still adjusting? Im not too sure how old she is. Any clue?

2. familyfarm1

familyfarm1 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 9, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Hello [​IMG]and Welcome to BYC!
    just give her some time she should adjust when shes ready.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

It takes a while for a hen to get back in the groove to begin laying again. This is all controlled by hormones. And there is no set time that she will start back up. If the chicks are still hanging around mom, you might try separating them from her and this may jump start her into laying. However the chicks will be more vulnerable to the rest of your flock. She may still be protecting them. She should start back up in laying soon I would think.

4. chikkenfriend

chikkenfriend Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2013
    Texas
    My Coop
    Hello and welcome!!

Don't worry about your momma hen. She'll lay again. Ours went broody, raised her babies, and is back to laying regularly. It does take time.

Watch for momma to start weening her babies. She'll start moving off on her own. She'll start eating her freshly caught grasshopper instead of taking it to her babies. You'll see it. Once she starts that, laying comes soon after.

All the best to ya!

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! X4, it just depends on the hen, some care for their chicks longer than others and go longer before laying.

6. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Yup she'll lay again. Just give her time.

7. motomom219

motomom219 New Egg

Sep 6, 2014
    Thank you so much for all of your help. I feel better now. I guess I will just continue to wait. If she does start laying again can I leave the eggs for her to sit on? Id love for her to have more chicks.

8. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Congratulations on a successful hatch. The other BYC members have given you some good advice so I'll just say, please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

9. HugHess

HugHess Chickrack Addict

Jul 14, 2014
    Go BROWNS
    Hello from OHIO!
    Welcome aboard and congratulations on accepting your newest flock members.

10. LIChickens

LIChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2014
    Long Island, NY
    Welcome to BYC!

Mama needs to conserve her energy to make sure her chicks are safe and growing. Once they are grown, she can divert that energy towards egg laying and egg protecting.

You will find a lot of good information here. Keep on asking questions and you will get many good answers.

You may also want to read the FAQ below.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by