Hello from North Central Florida!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by RipsRoost, Mar 25, 2016.

1. RipsRoost

RipsRoost Just Hatched

Mar 25, 2016
    Florida
    I am a newbie to BYC! Super excited! I had a few black sex link hens I purchased as 6 month olds from a local lady. I had them several years until a few months ago. I went inside to answer the phone, they were in the front yard free ranging, and ten minutes later I came back out to see a mass of feathers everywhere and no sign of my girls! :( I never even heard a sound. My kids (3 year old twins) were devastated. They could feed both of them out of their hands.
    So, I am embarking on raising chicks. I ordered barred rock, buff orpingtons, speckled sussex and silver laced wyandottes from McMurray, as well as some red ranger broilers. After a bout with cancer I have become more dependent on what I grow in my garden and want to raise my own food as much as possible. I also ordered some silver appleyard ducklings too. We live on 15 acres and am developing an orchard and expanding my garden beds. It will be a busy busy spring lol.
    I am going to invest in a few chicken tractors so they can range protected as well as a stationary coop to deep litter for garden compost. I have been reading tons from this site..what a blessing all you experienced flocksters are! We can't wait for our little chickees and this new adventure!

2. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG] and the FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!! members page and The Florida Thread

1 person likes this.
  3. mlm Mike

mlm Mike Sunna and Mani Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 14, 2010
    Hardy Township, OH
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC.

Joining your state thread will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area, which can be helpful (just type the name of your state in the search box).

All the best
    CT

1 person likes this.
  5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You may want to check out the predator threads for ways to prevent some attacks and how to fortify against others. So sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. N F C

N F C just blowing in the wind Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Always room for another Floridian here, glad you could join us!

1 person likes this.
  7. RipsRoost

RipsRoost Just Hatched

Mar 25, 2016
    Florida
    Thank you for the tip! I will definitely check it out!

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by