Hello from North Georgia

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by eclecktic1, Mar 12, 2017.

1. eclecktic1

eclecktic1 Chillin' With My Peeps

I am Dineen, from Union County, Georgia. I am planning on starting my flock this spring and am excited to join the community here.

I keep flip-flopping over what breed of chicken to get as well as where to get them.

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Dineen, and [​IMG]! Happy you joined our community! You are wise to do your homework first before taking the plunge. And there is no better place to learn all you need to know than BYC!! I recommend reading some of the valuable articles in the Learning Center here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center It will start on you the right path!
    In terms of breed, the sky is the limit. And you don't have to settle for a single breed. Some folks like a little variety in the barnyard as well as the egg basket. You can safely and successfully order chicks through the mail. Here's a link to Breeders and Hatcheries Forum: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/16/chicken-breeders-hatcheries
    And if you'd like to chat with some local GA poultry folk, find your state thread here and say hello: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread
    Best wishes to you on your poultry adventure and thanks for joining BYC! [​IMG]

3. peopleRanimals2

peopleRanimals2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2015
    Rhode Island
    [​IMG]
    Welcome, and thanks for joining! Good luck with your future flock!
    There are many different breed options, and choices as of where to get them from. Personally, I have only gotten chicks locally, but I know people who have gotten both mail order chicks and local.
    As for breeds, you could get many! My advice is to pick a breed (Or breeds) well suited for your needs, climate, amount of space, and schedule. If you just have a small backyard coop, I would advise picking birds well suited to that. Also, pick a/some breed(s) that suit your needs, such as good layers, or just birds that have a good temperament. If you do your research, then choosing breeds and suppliers won't seem as daunting. Feel free to ask any questions.
    Keep us updated, and good luck!
    -M

4. I Love My Chkns

I Love My Chkns Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2017
    Massachusetts
    Hello! [​IMG] Welcome to the chicken community. I know that there are a lot of breeds and I put mine in 2 catagories.

Typical / Classic - Buff Orphington, Rhode Island Red, Barred Rock

Crazy / Show - Silkie, Ayam Cenami (super rare and expensive), Frizzle, Polish, Naked Neck (really friendly)

Good - Luck finding a good breed

5. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Dineen [​IMG] Welcome!

As you have already received some links to great starting points, I will just wish you all the best and also your flock when they arrive.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

6. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Hi there, and welcome to BYC -- so glad you've joined us!
    Breed selection can be a long process, lol....there are just so many to choose from. One thing you might consider is to start out with a mixed flock this year comprised of several of the breeds you think you want -- this will give you a chance to try each one and decide which you do/don't like so that next year you can cycle some out and either bring in more of the breeds you like or try even more new breeds until you get a chance to really figure out the breed(s) that are just right for you.

7. eclecktic1

eclecktic1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Thank you all for your suggestions and welcome.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Nice to meet you Dineen, thank you for joining us at Backyard chickens. I too, think an assortment is good. Then you have a chance to sample different breeds, and may be surprised by what ones work best for you. You can always sell or rehome the ones that do not.

9. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Hi Dineen, I'm also a fan of mixed flocks. No matter what you end up getting, hope you enjoy them!

10. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello, and welcome to the forum! I am fixing to celebrate my first year on here, and I have loved it so much, I hope you will too! There is tons of great info and friendly folks, so pull up a chair and make yourself at home! :frow

~Cuz

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by