Hello from North Georgia....

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Redbird1950, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Redbird1950

Redbird1950 New Egg

Jan 27, 2013
    NW Georgia
    I have been raising chickens off and on most of my life and I am 62 now.. I grew up on a small farm and we usually kept between 20 to 30 chickens pretty much all the time. Mostly Rhode Island Reds and white leghorns with a few bantams running around free ranging the barn area. I worked on an egg production farm for a couple of years that had two laying houses with approximately 15,000 birds per house. I went into the Army and did a ten year hitch with them. Then I moved back home and one of the first things I did was get another small flock started. It was mostly assorted breeds. At one point I had around 500 bantams, old english games, cornish, RIR, and others that were free ranging inside our small horse / goat pasture. I got a divorce and sold / gave away all of my fowl. Now I am resettled, married again and am in the process of aquiring a small flock of young Red sex link pullets. My new wife loves chickens almost as much as I do. Hopefully I can learn new things from you and make a contribution of my knowledge from time to time.
    This is a wall in my kitchen....

[​IMG]

Alan

1 person likes this.
  2. dolphinlvr4

dolphinlvr4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Savannah ga
    Redbird1950, first of all welcome! U sound like the guy who can answer all my questions. Ty for joining ;-). Please read my post n let me know if and or what I did wrong with my 11 day old chicks losing thier down. We live these lil things n want to make sure we r doing all we can. We feed starter crumble that's medicated if that helps any. Ty soooo much n Ty for serving our country, my hat is off too u sir :)

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] If my kitchen had walls to hang chicken things on it would look like yours too [​IMG] Happy you joined our flock! I think with your experience you can make great contributions to the site.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC and back to the world of poultry keeping.

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Redbird 1950, and [​IMG]! Pleased to have you with us and happy you are once again back into chickens. Red sex-links are great layers!! I'm sure your years of poultry experience will be an asset for others on BYC - best of luck to you!

6. chickenpooplady

chickenpooplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Ohio
    My Coop
    [​IMG] from Highland County Ohio and God Bless!!!

7. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

8. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by