Hello from North Georgia!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by TD Dawgs, Aug 25, 2013.

1. TD Dawgs

TD Dawgs New Egg

Aug 25, 2013
    Hey everyone,

I am new to BYC, both ways! My wife and I, along with our two young sons, started a small flock this past May. The original flock had two french copper marans, two dominiques, and two black australorps. I asked for pullets but ended up with a straight run. No matter since I really think the Dominique roo is the best looking, even though the maran is flat out striking with its color scheme! I gave the Australorps to my father-in-law since he lost a rooster and a few hens due to a coyote. Recently, they were also taken by the coyote. [​IMG] I have added to my flock by buying local chickens on craigslist. I added two more copper maran hens and two RIR. I also picked up a few smaller pullets (ameracauna, maran, and one unknown breed) from a local farmer.My father-in-law gifted us a chicken coop for which he no longer had any use, and I built a nice-sized run for my flock and recently expanded it. It has been work, but I am used to that and enjoy it. It is fun watching the chickens interact with each other. I am working on letting them free range in my back yard (1/2 acre fescue lawn, seldomly mowed below 6"[​IMG]) and hardwoods on the perimeter, but we have a few roaming dogs from neighbors in the area (I live in a rural area). I know there are always dangers to the flock so I just want them to have their best shot at survivial and to be happy!
    I have enjoyed perusing the forum here and the resources are top notch! I hope to contribute as I become a little more knowledgeable in this endeavor! See y'all around!!

Josh

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Josh, and [​IMG]! Pleased to have you in our community! Good luck to you and your flock!

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.
    [​IMG]

6. ehale1991

ehale1991 Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2010
    Welcome from Western Arkansas! Happy you joined us!

7. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    Welcome to the site Josh! I'm glad you have joined us on BYC :)

8. Suzierd

Suzierd Overrun With Chickens

Aug 8, 2011
    Oregon
    Welcome to BYC!

9. TD Dawgs

TD Dawgs New Egg

Aug 25, 2013
    Thanks everyone!
    Dawg53, GO DAWGS!

10. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens