Hello from North Georgia!

TD Dawgs

Hatching
6 Years
Aug 25, 2013
Hey everyone,

I am new to BYC, both ways! My wife and I, along with our two young sons, started a small flock this past May. The original flock had two french copper marans, two dominiques, and two black australorps. I asked for pullets but ended up with a straight run. No matter since I really think the Dominique roo is the best looking, even though the maran is flat out striking with its color scheme! I gave the Australorps to my father-in-law since he lost a rooster and a few hens due to a coyote. Recently, they were also taken by the coyote.
sad.png
I have added to my flock by buying local chickens on craigslist. I added two more copper maran hens and two RIR. I also picked up a few smaller pullets (ameracauna, maran, and one unknown breed) from a local farmer.My father-in-law gifted us a chicken coop for which he no longer had any use, and I built a nice-sized run for my flock and recently expanded it. It has been work, but I am used to that and enjoy it. It is fun watching the chickens interact with each other. I am working on letting them free range in my back yard (1/2 acre fescue lawn, seldomly mowed below 6"
wink.png
) and hardwoods on the perimeter, but we have a few roaming dogs from neighbors in the area (I live in a rural area). I know there are always dangers to the flock so I just want them to have their best shot at survivial and to be happy!
I have enjoyed perusing the forum here and the resources are top notch! I hope to contribute as I become a little more knowledgeable in this endeavor! See y'all around!!

Josh

Back
Top Bottom