Hello from North Mississippi

thefadedstitch

Chirping
Apr 23, 2018
North Mississippi
Hi. I'm new to chickens but my sister is not. Currently there are 3 Black Copper Mat and that reside on our farm (1 rooster and 2 hens). Both of the girls got bloody at the same time so we snuck in some extras (silver lace sebrights, Americaunas, blue lace red wyandotte, light Sussex, blue/black polish). They started with 17 eggs between the 2 of them. One hen tried to sit on top of the other hen. When that didn't work she decided to steal some of the eggs back. We felt sorry for her and got more eggs. Now there are almost 50 eggs between the 2 of them! Can't wait for my "little" family to start in a couple more weeks. (Chicken math struck before the eggs even hatched!). It started out as me wanting 2 silver lace polish...my sis being the instigator she is (and the chicken friend she has who is also an instigator) somehow talked me into about 36 eggs of several different breeds. Wish I could say I'm not always easily led but, in this case I let it happen.

G'Day from down under thefadedstitch :frowWelcome!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

BYC has Topic of the Week discussions which I have found to be a great resource, informative and sometimes entertaining; so definitely worth checking out.

If you would like to share Pictures and Stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out

You might want to also Find Your State Thread and pop in and say hello.

You may be interested in these links:

We hatched 4 black coppers a couple of months ago. I got the nickname "Chicken killer" because I didn't know the last 2 or 3 days were the most crucial and liked to check on them. One was having trouble with shell being stuck to it so I very carefully picked it up to help clean it up and then dropped it :hit. We checked the eggs a few days after hatch date and my "checking" was actually killing and I didn't know it. I think there were 4 or 5 that should have made it were it not for my meddling. I will never open an incubator again. Lots of learning went on that week and I'm now a serial chicken killer. I feel bad even months later. :(

They are rather healthy hens, lol. About 6 of the eggs are sebrights and some of the others are on the smaller side as well but there are plety of maran, wyandotte, sussex and americaunas under there too. They have their work cut out for them, that's for sure but I have faith in them!

Back
Top Bottom