1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hello From North Texas!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by mahan4428, May 24, 2016.

1. mahan4428

mahan4428 Just Hatched

May 24, 2016
    North Texas
    My husband and I started raising chickens a little over a year ago and have absolutely fell in love! We tried to free range them last year but they kept flying over into the dog pens. We've learned quite a bit over the past year and now have a full coop with a run, a 5 gallon watering system, and an even bigger feeding system. We have temporary roosts and we'll be adding nest boxes soon as well. We have 2 daughters ages 2 and 8 that love to help with the chickens. (It's a fight to get our 2 y/o out of the coop everyday). We have a total of 31 chickens. 2 for sure are roos. We've been members of the byc facebook page for some time now. Glad to be a part of the forum now as well! Look forward to learning new tips and tricks on caring for our flock.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - glad that you have joined us. It seems that chicken maths has you firmly in its grasp - it happens to us all.

I hope that you enjoy being a member on the BYC site as well as the FB page. Feel free to ask any questions or share your experience - its all good fun!

Best wishes
    CT

3. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    [​IMG]

Ooo..looks like you could give some great advice on your watering and feeding system. Look around, share your ideas on some threads. You won't be able to post any photos until you hit number 20 post I do believe. If I'm wrong on that number, someone will come along and let you know the right number. :)

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us! You have a beautiful flock, thank you for sharing the pics!

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    If you put a cover on the chicken run and /or the dog runs - chickens won't be dropping in for any fatal encounters. You have a nice flock, what breeds do you have?

7. mahan4428

mahan4428 Just Hatched

May 24, 2016
    North Texas
    We built a coop with a fully enclosed run for them. So far, so good.

We wanted a lot of different colors and personality so we have a variety of birds.

From our local TSC we have
    6 Golden Sex Links
    3 RIR
    2 Rhode Island Whites
    3 Black Giants

From McMurray we have
    1 Black Australorp
    2 Silver Laced Wyandottes
    1 Blue Cochin
    2 Welsummers
    2 Speckled Sussex
    2 Buff Orpingtons
    2 Barred Rocks
    2 Columbian Wyandottes
    2 Blue Laced Red Wyandottes

And 1 Ameraucana from my dad.

It's been awesome watching them change so much as they grow!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by