Hello from northern CA

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by bigpinkmotherhen, Dec 9, 2010.

1. bigpinkmotherhen

bigpinkmotherhen Out Of The Brooder

Dec 9, 2010
    I recently decided to get chickens again (after a long hiatus) so I could have safe, clean, organic, free-range eggs and chicken dinners. When my friends found out, my project quickly grew to a five-household "co-op." One friend bought a coop, another helped with the pen, etc. I learned about BYC from one of these folks.

I had planed a very small flock of Wyandottes or Delawares. However, one friend wanted Jersey Giants cuz they're big, another Ameraucanas for the blue eggs. When I ordered 10 Jersey Giants from Ideal, they added 6 Rhode Island Reds "for warmth." 5 were cockerels, 1 a pullet. I kept the pullet (of course) and one cock, whom I named Henry (see my pic). I hope Henry and the girls get along, cuz I'd love to stick some fertile eggs under one of the hens when she goes broody.

We originally thought we'd keep 10-12 hens, but with the economy in CA being so bad, we decided to add a few more to provide eggs at little or no cost to people in financial difficulty. I'll put the eggs in my church frig for whomever wants them, and they can "pay" the church for them as they see fit.

So I ordered more chicks: Silver Laced Wyandottes, Ameraucanas, and a few high-production Leghorn hybrids -- to get some efficient layers. I ordered the Wyandottes "straight run" so I can add another roo or two to the flock. Now everyone has what they want -- I hope. We'll trim the flock late next year to a reasonable number.

My other hobbies include gardening, quilting, cooking, and most anything that gives me an excuse to avoid housework.

2. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

[​IMG]

3. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

[​IMG]

You will be so happy that you have "come back to chickens" [​IMG]

4. Savannah Poultry

Savannah Poultry The Source

Mar 29, 2010
    Lakeview, OR
    Welcome! Your going to love it here!

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

6. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio.

7. henhound

henhound Out Of The Brooder

Nov 23, 2010
    Orangevale, CA
    Welcome from a fellow Northern Californian!

8. Rosecomb-Ryan

Rosecomb-Ryan East Indie Crazed

Apr 12, 2008
    Sacramento CA
    Welcome from Citrus Heights [​IMG]

9. misschickenlittle

misschickenlittle REALLY wants a new title

Oct 30, 2010
    Missouri
    [​IMG] from Missouri! I like your plan of taking eggs to the church! How thoughtful. [​IMG]

10. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    Welcome from another nothern Californian! I'm sure you'll enjoy your stay here and learn a lot! And make friends, too. [​IMG]

(And psst, when you "trim" your flock, I'm the adoption coordinator of a chicken rescue group in northern California if you'd like to send them off to us instead of eating them... Totally up to you, of course! You can send me a PM any time if you get too attached to eat anyone but need to trim the flock. [​IMG])

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by